Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about designing and operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for an empathetic engineer who is familiar with our stack, understands our tools, is comfortable working remote, enjoys working in open source, and is excited about our mission to create simple, yet powerful, foundations (with 💕) from which our community can build. Reporting to the Engineering Manager of Systems Tooling, the Software Engineer will help us in our mission to provide tooling and automation for other teams throughout DO.
Our Stack: Chef, K8s, Go, Docker, Python, Ansible
Our Tools: Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack, AWX (Ansible Tower)
Our Team: The larger team, supported by the Director of Systems, is currently made up of a diverse group of about thirty engineers located across the US, Canada, and Germany. The Tooling and Automation sub-team, supported by the Engineering Manager of Systems Tooling, accounts for approximately one-fourth of the Systems team.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Supporting the operations and management of our distributed edge collection system
- Working with stakeholders to provide the data they need from the edge
- Improvements to our monitoring, alerting, and tooling
- Development of tooling and automation to reduce engineering toil
- 5-20% of your time is spent on innovation, education, and/or open source
- Experience writing secure, testable and robust code (Golang a plus)
- Experience proactively addressing reliability issues across all layers of the stack
- Experience designing and implementing production solutions at scale
- Familiarity with automation and orchestration tools such as Ansible or Chef
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health and a monthly internet bill reimbursement and remote workstation program to make working from home as easy and comfortable as possible.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge, Palo Alto and Bangalore, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
*This position may be done in NYC or Remote (but not in CO due to local CO job posting requirements)
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!