Software Engineer (Mid-Sr Level)
Who We Are
Thinkful is a new type of school that brings high-growth tech careers to ambitious people everywhere. We provide 1-on-1 learning through our network of industry experts, hiring partners, and online platform to deliver a structured and flexible education. Thinkful offers programs in web development, data science, and design, with in-person communities in up-and-coming tech hubs around the U.S. To join the Thinkful network visit thinkful.com.
We are engineers that build software that helps students change careers into data science, design, and web development. We pride ourselves on our ability to provide accessible education to motivated career switchers. Together we build the tech that helps them reach mastery and success.
In this role, you will join a remote team of diverse, motivated engineers that is changing what education looks like. We serve an audience of thousands of students and educators every year. Your contributions will shape the way these students learn, helping them succeed in life.
It could not be a more exciting time to join of Thinkful’s Engineering team this year! The company is growing and the engineering team will double in headcount this year. Join us and help us scale engineering to power our next phase of growth!
Within 1 month, you will:
- Work with an onboarding buddy to push commits in your first week.
- Use our documentation to learn the microservices architecture.
- Use code reviews and pairing with peers to raise code quality.
- Deploy changes confidently with solid test coverage through our robust CI/CD pipeline.
- Take part in team planning and retrospective meetings.
- Spend time getting to know your remote peers over video calls.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Collaborate with developers, product managers, and stakeholders to identify product opportunities.
- Work across the stack to create user experiences that support our students’ learning.
- Scale out backend applications as traffic and capabilities rapidly grows.
- Improve observability across the system through standardized logging, metrics, and dashboards.
- Manage competing priorities while focusing on value delivery.
- Receive regular performance feedback from your manager and peers.
- Develop a career growth plan and goals with your manager.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Influence the roadmap and product development of Thinkful systems.
- Lead research and architecture initiatives to support Thinkful's rapid growth.
- Design, develop, and operate new resilient distributed services with Python, PostgreSQL and Heroku.
- Become an expert in using React and Flask to quickly iterate toward product goals.
- Standardize and document operating procedures.
- Invest in junior developers through mentoring relationships.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Work with the data warehousing pipeline to provide stakeholders with rich business insights.
- Invest in a culture of accountability by holding yourself and your peers to high standards.
- Expand your knowledge and influence by rotating across teams and working in new codebases and product areas.
- Meet your peers face-to-face at "Weekful", our annual all-company retreat.
Compensation and benefits
- Competitive base salary and equity
- Healthcare, dental, and vision insurance are 100% covered for individuals and meaningfully covered for families
- 401k plan options
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Expand your skills with free Thinkful courses and a Mentor, plus discounts for friends and family
- Commuter Benefits Card via WageWorks
- Paid Parental Leave
If you are interested in this position please provide your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the role.
Thinkful can only hire candidates who are eligible to work in the United States.
We stand against any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. Thinkful provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. If you're talented and driven, please apply.