Software Engineer - Network Engineering DNS at DigitalOcean
Headquartered in New York but based around the world, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by most.We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
We are looking for an experienced DNS and infrastructure engineer who has experience in designing, implementing, and deploying enterprise-scale DNS infrastructure. The right candidate should be able to work cross functionally across engineering and infrastructure teams to collaboratively build cohesive solutions, proactively identify and resolve issues independently. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior Engineer will participate and lead the design, development and deployment of new services and maintain existing infrastructure and products.What You'll Be Doing:
- Support existing DNS services and contribute creative solutions to the pain points.
- Participate in the on-call rotation and share in normal operational responsibilities
- Improve tooling and processes for managing our global high-traffic DNS infrastructures
- Collaborate with other teams across the company to evolve the DNS infrastructure for scaling and features.
- Participate and lead the design and implementation of architectural changes and new features
- Consult with teams within the organization to share DNS expertise and assist with supporting their DNS requirements
- Significant experience with DNS server software (e.g. BIND, PowerDNS, CoreDNS, Unbound)
- Familiarity with DNS architecture both authoritative and recursive
- Experience with monitoring and metrics collection challenges, and diagnosis and mitigation of operational issues of larger-scale DNS infrastructures
- Experience with automation frameworks (e.g. Chef, Ansible, Salt)
- Experience with Linux system administration, including firewall configuration, network setup and basic performance tuning
- Familiarity with the use of anycast in scaling DNS
- Bonus: Experience with MySQL
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For all CO residents, please click here
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!