Software Engineer - Product Backend (Univ. Grad)
Squarespace provides creative tools and services to help anyone build and manage their brand online. For more than a decade, we’ve empowered millions of people to take control of their online presence like never before. We’re pushing boundaries both creative and technical, tackling an increasing set of our customers’ needs to manage their business. We’re also helping new grads like you take what you learned and apply your skills in a wide variety of settings.
Our software engineers build the tools that let our customers succeed, as well as tools that let our engineering team succeed. If you liked the more creative aspects of college (maybe you took a video game design class?) perhaps you’d enjoy working with a team trying to figure out how to dynamically stage a website for a user so that they feel “at home” from the moment they start. If you liked your database class, perhaps you’d enjoy working with a team trying to figure out how to efficiently structure the content of millions of websites so that it’s both fast to serve and easy to reason about. If you liked systems engineering classes, maybe you’d enjoy working on our core services team that builds the framework upon which other engineers at squarespace build their products?
We’ve got openings on teams that work up and down the stack, from routing network traffic all the way up to generating dynamic user interfaces. Whether you want to hone your skills in an area you’ve already explored in college or through an internship, or whether you’d like to try your hand at a different level of the stack, opportunities exist at Squarespace.
Most engineering teams at Squarespace are around five people -- meaning that as a new grad, you’ll have the benefit of more senior engineers on the team you can learn from, but also enough space to tackle difficult problems yourself and work on refining your skills through solving impactful, meaningful problems.
- Varies by team
- Write high-quality server-side code and create robust high-volume distributed systems primarily in Java
- Collaborating on creating scalable infrastructure to serve a growing userbase
- Learning the codebase and becoming more of an independent problem solver
- Currently enrolled student with a graduation date of December 2018 or Spring 2019
- BS/BSE/BSc/BA degree in computer science, software engineering, or HCI (MS preferred)
- Experience in Java or C++.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable and reliable code
- Experience in distributed systems, performance analysis, database systems, network protocols or networked system design, large scale storage systems, web infrastructure, or web application development is a plus but not required
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 800 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- Dog-friendly workplace
- And more
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.