Software Engineer - Query Language at Datadog (Greater NYC Area, NY or Remote)
We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to help us build a novel query language. The team is building an SQL execution engine that efficiently queries and aggregates relational and non-relational data from across the Datadog platform - metrics, logs, distributed traces, profiling data, inventory, events, etc. The team solves problems in language design & implementation along with query execution & scaling. This is a next generation capability and product for Datadog. Datadog is growing rapidly, and the cross-platform query is a key growth area. The platform runs in the cloud, it's always on, low latency and high throughput.
- Code new and existing services to scale out our events platform pipelines in Go
- Contribute to the design of the query language, API, architecture, and surrounding systems
- Debug and solve challenging cross-systems issues in production
- Help improve our engineering tooling and practices
- Own meaningful parts of our service, have an impact, grow with the company
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You have significant backend programming experience in one or more languages
- You can get down to the low-level when needed
- You care about code simplicity and performance
- You want to work in a fast, high-growth startup environment that respects its engineers and customers
- You've worked on query languages
- You’ve written your own data pipelines before
- You have a strong background in statistics
- You have significant experience with Go, Rust or a JVM based language
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.