Sr. Software Engineer - Comm Platform Security at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About the Security Team
The Security team is responsible for essential systems that govern authentication and authorization of users, securing clients’ accounts and data, and management of statutory requirements to protect and enhance privacy rights of our users. Our services serve millions of requests per day and high availability, responsiveness, robustness, and scalability are our bedrock. Additionally, due to the core nature of these services we often engage with teams that run initiatives, i.e. projects that span the Grubhub platform, where time to market is frequently critical.
The Impact You Will Make
- Understand the domain needs and build a highly scalable & reliable platform for the Security services.
- You’ll be accountable for delivery, deployment, maintenance, monitoring the performance of the application and the platform.
- Write fault tolerant code with loosely coupled dependencies to ensure failures only cause degradation and minimize outages.
- Evaluate tools, technologies, vendors for the platform along with other senior team members.
- Write code with defined standards, review the code of peers, use security standards in the code and ability to measure the performance of the features.
- Create a backlog of Tech Debts/ Features and suggest areas of improvement.
- Proactively take on work that enables greater productivity of others in the team.
- Actively work with other team members in the domain and be a team player.
- Able to explain complex technical concepts in simple language, especially for non-technical team members.
- Understand how decisions made within Security will ultimately affect the product and customer.
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud based offerings
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language.
- Strong fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, OO concepts, etc)
- Familiarity/experience with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB).
- Familiarity/experience with Memcache/ Redis Distributed Caching mechanisms.
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (junit/testing, mockito + jmeter/gatling.io)
- Experience developing highly-available distributed systems (5x9’s uptime etc.)
- Prior experience with a Security platform and knowledge of privacy regulations are a big plus.
- Interested in working for a fast paced tech and product oriented company
- Docker, or similar containerized solutions
- CI / CD tools preferable Gradle, Jenkins or similar
- Ability to work and communicate within and across the team.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]