Narrativ is a technology platform for brands to unlock, manage, and grow their share of product reviews on the open web.
Why is this important? We’ve seen a decade’s worth of e-commerce growth in 2020, and the emergence of a smarter consumer who demands a better way to buy than ads. They’re turning to expert product reviews on trusted sources ranging from The New York Times to their favorite YouTuber. But only Amazon is reaping the benefits today, commanding a $40B monopoly on product reviews online.
Narrativ’s patented technology empowers everyone to win. We build the tech and tools to turn honest reviews that tell the whole story about a product into a multibillion dollar acquisition channel for all brands. Teams at Sephora, Best Buy, L’Oreal and hundreds of others already partner with Narrativ to yield more efficient results than Facebook and Google.
Our work breaking Amazon’s monopoly and fixing broken and out-of-stock links on the Internet has gotten us recognized by The World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and by Fast Company as one of the best places to work for innovators.
Why you should work here:
- We’re growing, fast: Narrativ’s platform hosts 50+ partners spending $20mm+ a year including Best Buy, L’Oreal, Sephora, Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Nordstrom, and Samsung. We’ve doubled revenue so far in 2020.
- We have a talented team: We’re a team of 50+ from places like Amazon, Facebook, Google, and Etsy with a female founder that’s been awarded by the Financial Times, Forbes, and Inc. We’re hiring quickly, with plans to double our team in the next year.
- We’re challenging the status quo: Breaking monopolies and diversifying industries is in our DNA. Come join us on our mission to democratize product recommendations for all and build a better internet for shoppers.
Come join us on our mission to build a better Internet for shoppers!
A staff backend engineer at Narrativ will lead the design and implementation of a first-class data platform. You understand the history of batch and streaming big data systems, know when awk outperforms Hadoop map-reduce, and have spent a lot of time thinking about the best ways to handle schema drift. You care deeply about making scalable systems from simple, reliable, and correct building blocks. You can explain the advantages and disadvantages of a wide range of data structures depending on the desired use case. You can articulate when a general solution is good enough, and when a specialized solution is necessary.
You are Narrativ’s Staff Backend Engineer 💽Mission
- Lead data architecture efforts at Narrativ, from prototype to test to build
- Enable scalability and observability for batch and realtime data streams
- Drive adoption of best practices through mentorship and by example
- Make it simple for the business to find and use data to make decisions
- Merchant product feed can ingest datasets of 10M+
- Create a system that captures state changes in Narrativ’s Product Graph and supporting workflows for equality control and analysis purposes.
- Consolidate data architecture into key components (e.g. one streaming system instead of two, one system event bus instead of lossy point-to-point communication)
- Use data schemas well..proper typing, schema registry, handle schema drift, validation
- Create performant straightforward patterns for OLTP, OLAP, streaming ingest and enrichment, creating search indexes, etc
- 7+ years of experience with big data systems such as Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Kafka, Storm, Heron, NiFi, Hive, etc
- Understanding of different serialization and storage formats like Avro, Parquet, Thrift, Protocol Buffers, FlatBuffers, JSON, CSV, XML
- Working knowledge of relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL), non-relational (Redis, Cassandra/Scylla), and warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery)
- Experience with streaming data technologies and patterns
- Experience with orchestration frameworks like Airflow, Oozie
- Expertise in a general purpose programming language
- Strong experience in SQL
- Proven experience leading successful data platform work in multi-team scenarios.
- Expertise in Scala, Java, or Kotlin
- Experience in Elixir/Erling
- Working knowledge of probabilistic data structures and algorithms like count-min sketch, hyperloglog, bloom filters, reservoir sampling, etc
Important Notice: Narrativ will be going fully remote in 2021 and anticipate being a fully remote organization moving forward!
Narrativ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.