Staff Engineer: Compute at DigitalOcean
Based in New York and Cambridge, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers around the world. Our mission is to simplify cloud computing for every developer. We are working on solving some of the most challenging and interesting technology projects around, on a scale unmatched by few companies.We want people who are passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
As a Staff Engineer on the Compute team, the software you write will orchestrate tens of thousands of hypervisors across our global infrastructure. You will define the next generation of cloud services, making developers' lives (both inside DO and in the 'wild') easier by building new services that improve our efficiency and also provide important new features for our customers. If your passion is Distributed Systems, this is the right job for you. This role can be worked remotely or from our offices in NYC and Cambridge, MA.What You'll Be Doing:
- Designing and building the services that build Droplets, Load Balancers, Kubernetes, DBaaS, and future Digital Ocean functionality.
- Design next generation fleet management and scheduling services.
- Design, implement, test and optimize new services that run at scale and solve challenging distributed coordination problems.
- Work with our product teams to build the next generation of products and services for our developers community.
- Drive architecture for complex products by determining current limitations and coming up with scalable solutions.
- Go, Linux, GRPC, Kubernetes, Mysql, RabbitMQ, Consul, Kafka, Chef, Git
- Significant experience as a software engineer, developer, or programmer building software used by 1000s of users
- The ability to define and drive a technical vision within teams, across teams, and across pillars.
- Ability to mentor other engineers.
- Ability to lead large projects across multiple teams and pillars.
- The ability to flex communication style to influence and present to many audiences (peers, directors, execs).
- Ability to define business requirements in partnership with product management and create minimally complex designs that groups of teams across pillars can deliver on.
- Ability to guide multiple projects across pillars through the full lifecycle (including design, implementation, release, maintenance).
- Expertise with at least one of the following languages: Go, Python, C/C++, Java
- Experience with large scale distributed systems programming
- Record of creating sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across major business-critical systems
- Familiarity with Chef, Ansible and/or Puppet
- Ability to contribute throughout all phases of a service lifecycle from conception through design, development, deployment and ultimately operation
- A commitment to monitoring and observability
- Ability to handle on call rotation
- Operational familiarity with Linux servers
- Systems thinking
- Strong opinions, weakly held
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!