Staff Software Engineer, Boost at JW Player
JW Player is a technology platform which boasts the world’s most widely-adopted web video player, generating billions of video streams a month. We're looking for a Backend Staff Software Engineer who will develop data applications and pipelines that drive monetization for our customers across billions of devices monthly.
As a Software Engineer, you will:
- Work on innovative products that help our customers grow and monetize their audience
- Work in a collaborative, cross-functional team that enjoys a high level of autonomy
- Design and build scalable performant services supporting thousands of requests per second
- Build batch & real-time pipelines to provide our publishers with the analytics needed to understand how their videos are being watched
- Work in an iterative, agile environment
- Lead the execution of major product initiatives
- Participate in planning activities, code review, providing feedback and mentorship to your peers
- Participate in bi-annual hackathons where you will have the opportunity to innovate with engineers beyond your team
Who You Are:
- You have 7+ years relevant experience
- You have experience working with coding languages and technologies that can deal with Big Data. This includes knowledge of some of the following and a willingness to learn the others: Python, Java, Kafka, Spark, Avro, SQL/Relational databases
- Scale is something that excites you and you have dealt with before. When you build a data pipeline, you are confident it will work just as well in a dev environment as it will in a prod environment dealing with 100x the amount of data.
- Comfortable working in a Cloud environment, ideally AWS. The JW Player DevOps team is here to help you, but you should prefer collaborating with them as opposed to just throwing environment challenges over the wall to them.
- Obsession with code quality. Whether it's pure unit tests, integration tests, or both, you know you are responsible for your code working correctly and can easily validate this with tests that can be hooked into a CI environment.
- Enjoy working with other engineers. You recognize there are multiple ways to engineer a solution and feel a code review is a chance to share knowledge, not judge others' code.
- Strong Github profile
- Experience with containerization (e.g. Docker)
About the Boost Team:
- Our applications are containerized with docker and deployed using Kubernetes
- We deploy multiple times per day
- We use Python for (most) backend development
- We use Postgres for our relational databases, Kafka for data change capture, RabbitMQ for our message broker, Redis for caching, Snowflake for analytics
- We use Typescript, React and Angular for frontend development
- We do CI/CD with Jenkins and Buildkite
- We use AWS infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
- Our video delivery APIs scale to tens of thousands of requests per second at petabyte scale
- We have a Log-based architecture using Kafka
- We have a data science/machine learning pipeline using Airflow and Tensorflow
- We have a search API powered by Elasticsearch
- We maintain a distributed framework for video metadata extraction
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2018. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
When you join JW Player, you are not just joining a company or a team but a family. Our goal is to take care of you and ensure you will be successful in your new role. Your success is our success. When you join us, your benefits kick in from day one!
- Medical, Vision and Dental Coverage through Empire BlueCross
- Open PTO Policy - Self care is IMPORTANT!
- Development Program
- An opportunity to make an impact in a fast paced environment
- Bi - Annual Hack Weeks
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) and Fireside chats with Executives & JW Player family
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.