We're on a mission to build the best platform in the world for engineers to understand and scale their systems, applications, and teams. We operate at high-scale—trillions of data points per day—providing always-on alerting, metrics visualization, logs, and application tracing for tens of thousands of companies. Our engineering culture values pragmatism, honesty, and simplicity to solve hard problems the right way.
The Metrics Query team owns the mission-critical real-time systems that power our customers’ metrics dashboards, monitors, and analytics. These systems are responsible for pulling in data from our various layers of storage and caching and then executing efficient and intelligent aggregation across many millions of points. All this happens many thousands of times per second and at sub-second speed. The team is continually challenged to push the features, performance, reliability, and efficiency of these large distributed systems.
As a Team Lead for the Metrics Query team you and your team will build and extend the platform that our customers rely on for insight and monitoring of their systems and infrastructure. You will deeply understand the technical problem area and work with your team, and product management, to provide and implement novel solutions to challenging problems. Metrics is a foundational product for Datadog, and is an ever-growing and ever-evolving area for us.
- Manage a team of 3-5 talented engineers, ensuring they deliver high quality, timely work and that they’re happy, motivated, and growing
- Write a significant amount of code, lead architectural decisions for new and existing distributed, high-throughput, real-time systems
- Drive the team to reach Operational Excellence with performance testing and release goals
- Collaborate with a globally distributed engineering team to build high-scale metrics query and aggregation systems
- Plan the most important projects to work on next
- You have been building applications for 4+ years and know the systems you’ve worked on from top to bottom
- You have managed a team of 2+ software engineers
- You have architected, built, and operated distributed systems to solve problems at high scale
- You value code simplicity and performance
- You have a product oriented mindset and care deeply about the customer experience
- You have a BS/MS/PhD in a scientific field or equivalent experience
- You have managed teams programming in Go and/or Python
- You have a background in statistics and/or have worked in a quantitative field
- You’ve worked extensively with (or for) a major cloud provider
#LI-Remote This is a remote position
Equal Opportunity at Datadog:
Datadog is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and is proud to offer equal employment opportunity to everyone regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, and more. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Any information you submit to Datadog as part of your application will be processed in accordance with Datadog’s Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice.