Teachable’s mission is to “empower Creators to monetize their expertise.” Our online platform enables individuals and small businesses (our “Creators”) to build, host and sell online courses.
In April 2020 Teachable was acquired by Hotmart BV (“Hotmart”), an online platform designed to enable people “to make a living from their passions.” Hotmart’s operations and customers are concentrated in Brazil, but the company is increasingly global in scope, with Teachable serving as its base of US operations. Hotmart’s investors include General Atlantic Partners and GIC (the sovereign wealth fund of Singapore).
Following the acquisition by Hotmart, the role of the Financial Controller has become increasingly focused on (a) liaising with and supporting the requirements of our parent company; (b) building out the team so that the Accounting function can scale; and (c) preparing for the potential of public company status.
The Financial Controller is responsible for all aspects of Teachable’s Accounting function, including monthly/quarterly close, audit, accounts receivable and accounts payable and, in partnership with outside accountants, income tax. (Teachable sales tax and indirect tax activities are handled by the Tax team.) This role reports jointly into Hotmart’s Global Financial Controller and Teachable’s Director of Finance. The candidate must therefore be comfortable building relationships across organizations, ensuring the Teachable Accounting team has clear requirements from disparate stakeholders and is accountable for meeting those requirements. The Financial Controller’s peers include the FP&A Manager and the Manager of Tax. The Financial Controller will have the opportunity to build out the accounting team, with further headcount planned for 2021, while simultaneously ensuring that we maintain a high standard of excellence in all day-to-day accounting operations.
This is a full-time in-person position based in our New York, NY office. (Note that Teachable is fully remote until September 2021.)
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, overseeing and executing all closing processes
- Work closely with other teams, for example Engineering and Data to ensure accurate revenue recognition and support and with Tax to ensure accurate tax accruals
- Manage accounts receivable, accounts payable and bi-weekly payroll
- Working with Hotmart, our parent company, oversee annual and interim audits and maintain strong relationships with external auditors
- Support transition from QuickBooks to SAP, the accounting system utilized by Hotmart, as well as the consolidation of insurance policies under Hotmart’s global umbrella
- Scale the Accounting team to support our growth and the implementation of compliance, reporting and other requirements driven by the transition to a public company
- Maintain responsibility for all general aspects of Treasury, including banking relationships
- 7+ years of experience of progressive accounting experience, including management
- Bachelor's in Accounting and/or Finance
- Experience at both public accounting (Big 4 preferred) and in corporate environments
- CPA required
- Strong command of GAAP principles and working knowledge of IFRS
- Demonstrated experience in establishing internal controls in a high growth company
- Experience in a public company environment and with SOX compliance is strongly preferred, but not required
- Comfortable with matrixed reporting relationships and/or prior experience working in a parent/subsidiary relationship. Willing to build strong relationships with our Brazilian-based colleagues at Hotmart
- Experience with SaaS revenue recognition
- Previous experience with SAP would be helpful, but not required
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,300 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least September 2021
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Generous Vacation, Personal, and Sick Time
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.