As Skillshare’s Controller, you will take complete ownership of our financial accounting operations. This is a Director-level role reporting into our CFO. Skillshare is a high-growth, mission-driven startup that is providing professional development and learning opportunities for millions of people worldwide.
What you'll do:
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Manage and develop a team of two accountants
- Provide technical accounting subject matter expertise on the treatment of accounting transactions and related financial reporting requirements
- Ensure the month-end close is completed accurately
- Maintain and enforce company policies and procedures including expense reimbursement and invoice/budget approvals tracking
- Project manage larger initiatives in conjunction with other departments
- Develop and support team members (staff and senior accountant) in their careers
- Manage year-end external audit providing detailed and accurate work papers and documentation to outside accounting firm
- Conduct period over period flux analysis and compare actual vs. expected results in partnership with the CEO
Taxation and Compliance:
- Manage ongoing communication with tax advisors and any 3rd party professional service
- Manage periodic and annual tax filings and returns, and ensure timely submission to authorities
- Amend or renew, when appropriate, corporate insurance policies
What you'll need to be successful:
- Business acumen — we run lean, and we need your business smarts as much as your accounting chops; you can tell us what the numbers mean for our business and strategy, not just what they are.
- CPA — it doesn’t have to be current, but given you’ll be the lead accounting professional in the company we need you to know that GAAP is not where you buy jeans; you secretly like journal entries.
- SaaS experience — SaaS businesses have some nuance that is really important to both the accounting and financial management, and prior experience in consumer SaaS will give you a leg up in the role
- Excel wizardry — you use a spreadsheet to fold your laundry (and never touch the mouse…)
- Operational focus — you automate the mundane so you can focus on the sublime
- You’re a seasoned manager with team-building experience, and a track record of attracting and retaining great talent
- 10-12 years of experience in accounting
Why you want this job:
- Our mission: We’re doing work that matters – connecting lifelong learners around the world and empowering them to pursue their creativity.
- Impact: There aren’t many venture-backed startups with high growth rates, a strong platform and subscription-driven business model, AND a powerful social impact.
- Our team: We have a passionate, whip-smart team that is a lot of fun to work with.
- Our investors: We are backed by some of the best minds in technology — Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Omidyar Network and Amasia.
- Your life: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, have an unlimited vacation policy (with a required minimum!), and encourage work-life balance.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are backed by Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC and Crain’s, one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.