Senior Manager, Research Revenue
Flatiron’s mission is to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. The Research organization does this by organizing the world’s oncology information and making it useful for drug developers, academic researchers, and regulators to use in order to accelerate research and improve the quality of care.
The Accounting team is responsible for preparing accurate financial statements in accordance with accounting standards and working cross-functionally with teams to manage financial risks. We work in a fast-paced environment with complex customer contracts that often employ multi-element pricing and services/ products that continually evolve to meet the needs of our customers. In order to scale with the growth of the company, we are constantly building new processes and improving existing ones.
As a member of this team, the senior manager will work closely with the revenue senior, other members of the Finance team, as well as cross-functionally to ensure Flatiron’s revenue recognition policies and procedures are in accordance with reporting standards, as well as strengthen our internal control environment, seek operational efficiencies to shorten our time to close each month and be a strong partner to our Research business. In addition, this person should be familiar with billing and collection practices. The position is based in NYC and will report to the Controller.
- Lead revenue recognition for the Research business which includes review of monthly close activities performed by the senior accountant, ensuring accurate results are delivered on time for reporting in accordance with ASC 606 and having a thorough understanding of fluxes.
- Identify, research and analyze complex revenue recognition issues and successfully communicate position to the Controller, CFO and cross-functional non-accountants.
- Responsible for review of the billing process at the inception of the contract and maintaining deferred revenue (ST/LT) and unbilled accounts receivable balances.
- Prepare financial analyses and technical memos (e.g. fair value analyses of all product offerings, ad-hoc analyses to support business decisions, documentation of revenue policies).
- Partner with the Research team to review contracts from a finance perspective pre-sale to determine whether there are terms that impact revenue recognition and/or successful operational execution, as well as how best to mitigate financial risk.
- Lead sales and use tax process including managing nexus analyses, application of sales tax in customer contracts, as well as the review of monthly reconciliations for sales tax filings.
- Drive continuous process improvements, including design and documentation thereof, as well as effective monitoring of internal controls and SOX/IFRS/IA compliance.
- Work with parent company to provide accurate reporting and support during financial reporting periods, specifically around intercompany transactions.
- Improve operational processes with the goal of shortening month-end close.
- Manage partnership profit share calculations and accounting.
- Ensure timely customer receivable billings and manage collections with the business.
- Work closely with IT/systems teams to drive key system initiatives and updates as well as drive change to current systems to improve accuracy and efficiency, as needed.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams (sales operations, FP&A, business development, legal, sales) to improve existing processes and support business needs.
- Lead the implementation of best practices in revenue processes to scale our business.
- Special projects, as identified.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Active CPA license
- At least 10+ years of experience in Big Four or national public accounting firms AND industry, with at least 5 years of hands-on, role-specific revenue experience
- Experienced in the application of ASC 605-25 and/or ASC 606
- Strong analytical skills and leans towards challenging the status quo
- Strong self-starter with the ability to think creatively, solution unexpected issues and work independently to meet deadlines
- Proficient with technical research and takes initiative to determine accounting impact
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented self-starter
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize competing priorities appropriately
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and communication skills
- Passionate about healthcare and fighting cancer
- Belief in Flatiron’s Core Values
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Netsuite ERP and Salesforce.com
- Previous experience with a Life Sciences and/or software/SaaS company
- Advanced technical knowledge related to software/SaaS revenue recognition