Tax Accountant at Grubhub
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
We are looking for a highly motivated, detail oriented, and analytical Tax Accountant to join the Tax Department. Tax is a critical component of the business, mitigating risk by maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local law, and advising business leaders throughout the company of any tax implications associated with a new project or law. In this role, you will need a broad understanding of business tax issues, a fascination with the nuances of tax law, and a strong accounting background.
Location: New York City or Chicago
The Impact You Will Make
- Monthly tax reconciliations and accruals
- Analyze sales tax data, providing to outside tax advisors for filing and remittance in 300+ jurisdictions.
- Work with outside tax advisors on any sales tax notices, registrations, and renewals
- Research sales tax issues and field sales tax questions from various members of the Care, Operations, and Legal teams
- Maintain the tracking/filing of state and local taxes, calculating returns and making necessary payments, upon review and approval.
- Support Legal team and 3 rd party service in maintaining business licenses and state registrations
- Work with the Tax Director and Senior Tax Accountant in preparing year-end 1099s for restaurants, drivers, and vendors
- Assist the Tax Director and Senior Tax Accountant in complying with tax laws, including but not limited to federal, state, and local income/franchise tax, gross receipts tax, sales and use tax, payroll tax, and property tax.
- Partner with the Tax Director and Senior Tax Accountant to identify exposure, reduce risk, and improve tax policies/processes
- Understand implications of new tax laws and effectively communicate to the Tax Director, Senior Tax Accountant, and other leaders as appropriate
What You Bring to the Table
- 1-2 years experience, preferably within a corporate tax role
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Accounting
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred
- Proficiency in account reconciliation and process development
- Knowledgeable in accounting systems and Excel
- An inquisitive mind and ability to breakdown tax research into a clean format for leaders and other departments to understand
- Ability to pivot between topics and priorities quickly, while meeting deadlines
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it's safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.