We're looking for 2021 Data Insights Engineering Interns to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the internship role, our team, and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in building your career.
What You'll Do
As a Data Insights Engineering Intern, you will work with a diverse and talented team with expertise in digging into open-ended customer problems, prototyping, and rapidly iterating on data products from initial discovery to production. The team unlocks new value and possibilities from our data, always using the most effective tool for the job. Sometimes this means an interactive visualization; sometimes, the latest techniques in machine learning.
The Data Insights team has worked on products to enable healthcare providers to manage cancer centers and treat patients more easily, and developed tools to help Life Sciences companies to accelerate cancer research. Some example projects we’ve worked on include:
- An algorithm that assesses how a provider should be billing payers for provided services to optimize for charges getting paid out
- A dynamic visualization tool that tracks and displays progress on 200k abstraction tasks we complete each month for patients in our network
- Using ElasticSearch and NLP to demonstrate the utility of unstructured data for quality analytics (e.g. hospice referrals, and context surrounding death)
Throughout the summer, you will:
- Turn good ideas into prototypes, and prototypes into early stage products
- Interact with customers to ensure they receive the most value possible from Flatiron products
- Analyze and visualize oncology data for our clients in cancer clinics, academic institutions, and life science companies
- Learn how healthcare data works by building data pipelines using SQL, Python and/or R
- Develop knowledge of healthcare industry trends and data
Who You Are
You are graduating between December 2021 and June 2022 with a BS, MS or PhD from a technical field of study (e.g. data science, engineering, computer science, mathematics, etc.), or you’ve done programming/scripting on your own. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact. Additionally:
- You have experience coding in a data-centric programming language such as SQL, Pandas, or R (you should know one of these already, but we can teach you the rest!)
- You are a self-starter who can and independently prioritize and address problems in a highly ambiguous environment
- You are a clear and confident communicator who can break down complex data analyses to tell a compelling story
- You are eager to identify major pain points in a user’s workflow, quickly build prototypes to address challenges, gather feedback from the user, and rapidly iterate
- You are passionate about our mission to improve cancer care through data and technology
- You are interested in at least one of these fields: data analytics, decision science, machine learning, operations research, data modeling, business intelligence, or data engineering
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together on cross functional teams to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Onboarding curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Housing support to help cover the cost of living in NY
- Lunch with the Founders, social events and team outings
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.