Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $4.3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $42 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
As the Director of Internal Audit, you will be tasked with providing independent and objective evaluations of company financial and operational business activities. You will be in charge of reviewing and evaluating both Financial and IT controls. You must have a firm grasp of SOX 404 regulations and compliance, COSO internal control framework, enterprise risk assessment and operational audits. This is a highly visible, cross functional role and requires a unique mix of Industry knowledge, organizational skills and good communication and presentation skills.This role will report to the Audit Committee of Better’s Board of Directors and administratively to the Chief Accounting Officer.
Responsibilities will include:
- Communicate regularly and directly with the Board (Audit Committee), CFO, CAO, General Counsel, Corporate Controller and other Executives
- Establish the Internal Audit Charter and develop the Company’s internal audit strategy and roadmap
- Review Internal control’s design, implementation, risk assessment and scoping process by identifying significant locations and critical processes and ensure an adequate scope and testing of the Company’s financial statement based risks
- Manage co-sourced consultants and optimize their engagement.
- Critically evaluate current set of in scope controls and recommend ways to rationalize and optimize controls through automation.
- Serve as a reliable and insightful resource for implementing controls within a business process in an efficient and effective manner.
- Liaise with the external auditors and proactively coordinate the SOX and other audit related matters to ensure, amongst other things, reliance by External Auditors on Management’s testing, coordination of the PBC request process to minimize impact to the business and alignment of testing results
- Perform other tasks and projects as assigned in support of internal audit team and corporate objectives such as business process improvements, planning and execution of operational audit projects
- Demonstrates development of technical and analytical skills to understand business processes, interpret the associated risks, develop testing approach, and propose solutions
- Work closely with the IT team to evaluate and test ITGC controls
- 10+ Years of experience with a combination of Public accounting/audit and Industry.
- Strong preference for previous Public Company experience
- CPA, CIA, CISA or equivalent certification preferred
- Experience in project management best practices.
- Strong understanding of internal audit standards, SOX, ITGC and COSO
- Good understanding of Cloud applications like Coupa, Netsuite, Workday.
- Experience working in a Fintech or Mortgage Company a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, yearly cash bonus, equity and benefits. Additional employment-related benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits—including medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust holistic wellbeing offerings where you can experience unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after only 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.