Firmware Engineering Intern - Summer 2020 at Latch
* This is a full-time summer internship in New York City. Latch is unable to provide summer housing or a relocation stipend for summer interns. Additionally, interns must be able to commit to working full-time over the summer, 40 hours/week. *
Latch is hiring Firmware Engineering Interns for our Firmware Team, to work closely to design prototype powerful firmware for the next generation of access control hardware. Firmware Interns will be working on the development of Latch devices, writing low-level device drivers, board bring up, and delivering high quality, robust firmware to production. You will work within highly cross-functional feature teams and collaborate closely with mobile, backend, and hardware engineers.
The engineering team works in a fast-paced and highly-challenging environment, which means that as an intern at Latch, you’ll be given real projects that greatly impact the future of the company.
Smart access isn’t about locking doors, it’s about opening up new possibilities. Latch is the world’s first fully-integrated hardware and software system dedicated to bringing seamless access to every door in a modern building. We’re looking for the curious and the creative to join our team and help us continue to change the way we access our most valued spaces.
- Participate in the development, verification, and troubleshooting of high-quality embedded firmware
- Work with the electrical team for hardware bring-up and verification of new designs
- Work on firmware development for quick prototyping of future product features
- Write low-level peripheral drivers needed for board and application bring up
- Work with security engineers to find and fix security vulnerabilities in firmware
- Document functional specifications and release documentation
- Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Embedded Systems, Computer Engineering, or a similar field (preference for those graduating Winter 2020 or Spring 2021)
- Proficient in C programming and at least one scripting language (Python preferred).
- Experience working with a Raspberry Pi, Arduinos, and/or IoT dev kits strongly preferred
- Experience or interest in communication protocols like SPI, UART, and I2C
- Passion for security, cryptography, and/or security architecture a plus
Founded in 2014, Latch is a venture-backed, high-growth organization that's on a mission to change the way people open, manage, and share their spaces. Today, 1 in 10 new developments in the U.S. depend on our full-building smart access solution to meet the needs of residents and property managers.
We are a team of just over 200 employees, all of whom are passionate self-starters with unique backgrounds and unexpected stories. We are located just a quick walk from both Hudson Yards and Penn Station in New York City. Interns will have the opportunity to work in a creative, dynamic, and fast-paced office environment. Come grow with us.