Machine Learning Research Intern (Summer 2020) at Flatiron Health
We're looking for a 2020 Summer Machine Learning Intern who will help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the internship role, the machine learning team, and why Flatiron Health is a great next step in building your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work with engineers, statisticians, and clinicians to expand the scope of what we can achieve with our unique data. You’ll:
- Spend 12-15 weeks embedded in the machine learning team
- Work on challenging medical information extraction and prediction problems
- Design and execute a novel research project under the guidance of an experienced machine learning engineering mentor
- Whiteboard ideas, write code, work with stakeholders and present your work
- Learn how machine learning can be used to accelerate the generation of real-world evidence that can dramatically accelerate oncology research
Who You Are
You are in a Bachelor's,Master’s or Ph.D. program, and you have experience tackling open-ended machine learning problems. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems every day. You’re a kind, passionate, and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have experience independently executing on ambiguous research problems
- You are comfortable building and working with data pipelines in languages such as Python, R, Java, C/C++, or Scala
- You have experience working in a fast-paced company
- You value impact, are results-oriented, and care about the details
- You are enthusiastic about working on a multi-disciplinary team
- You are passionate about our mission to improve healthcare through technology
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have experience working with EHR or other healthcare data
- You have a track record of publications in well-known machine learning venues (NeurIPS, KDD, etc.)
- You have experience building production machine learning systems
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Onboarding curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Housing support to help cover the cost of living in NY
- Lunch with the Founders, social events, and Team outings
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.