Mechanical Engineering Intern - Summer 2020 at Latch
* This is a full-time summer internship in New York City. Latch is unable to provide summer housing or a relocation stipend for summer interns. Additionally, interns must be able to commit to working full-time over the summer, 40 hours/week. *
Latch is hiring a Mechanical Engineering Intern for our Hardware Team to support new product development and testing. As a Mechanical Engineering Intern, you’ll work on bringing real products to market, and design plastic and metal parts for concept development and production. Working with our hardware team, you’ll gain valuable experience with hands-on prototyping technologies and understand the details that drive decision making.
The engineering team works in a fast-paced and highly-challenging environment, which means that as an intern at Latch, you’ll be given ownership of projects that greatly impact the future of the company.
Smart access isn’t about locking doors, it’s about opening up new possibilities. Latch is the world’s first fully-integrated hardware and software system dedicated to bringing seamless access to every door in a modern building. We’re looking for the curious and the creative to join our team and help us continue to change the way we access our most valued spaces.
- Design of mechanical test fixtures
- Design & automation of mechanical test fixtures
- Prototyping of specialized mechanisms and new product concepts
- Researching new and existing technologies to help drive Latch’s hardware roadmap
- Analyzing and reviewing mechanical assemblies and failure modes
- Measurement, comparison, and analysis of mechanical components
- Testing, evaluation, and troubleshooting of mechanical systems (DFMEA, DFM, DFA)
- Creating high-quality presentations to communicate with internal and overseas stakeholders
- Preparing technical documentation to ensure reliability, quality, and compliance
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or similar field (preference for those graduating Winter 2020 or Spring 2021)
- Proficient with CAD software (SolidWorks preferred)
- Hands-on experience in a makerspace or machine shop
- Passion for consumer electronics and prototyping
- Familiarity working with Arduinos or general electrical engineering lab experience
- Familiarity with electronics manufacturing and testing a plus
Founded in 2014, Latch is a venture-backed, high-growth organization that's on a mission to change the way people open, manage, and share their spaces. Today, 1 in 10 new developments in the U.S. depend on our full-building smart access solution to meet the needs of residents and property managers.
We are a team of just over 200 employees, all of whom are passionate self-starters with unique backgrounds and unexpected stories. We are located just a quick walk from both Hudson Yards and Penn Station in New York City. Interns will have the opportunity to work in a creative, dynamic, and fast-paced office environment. Come grow with us.