Product Design Intern at Block Renovation
Block is a platform transforming the $400 billion renovation industry. Doing a home renovation is a very stressful and hard process. Our mission is to give homeowners a better way to improve the spaces they live in, and to give contractors a better way to work.
Block simplifies the renovation process to give homeowners a reliably good experience, with certainty around outcomes, quality, price, and time. We are building an ambitious, tenacious, and creative team unafraid of tackling new challenges. The founders are former leaders at Casper, HuffPost, and Rent the Runway. Investors include New Enterprise Associates, Lerer Hippeau Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and more.
Role & Responsibilities
As a Product Design Intern, you will help craft user-centric experiences across the renovation ecosystem. Renovations are a high stakes experience for homeowners, and a highly detailed process for design and construction professionals. You will partner with product, engineering, and a cross-functional team including construction, design, and operations, to create elegant solutions that balance systematic design, product goals, and customer delight.
Once here, you will:
- Assist with the concepting, prototyping, validation, and visual execution of digital experiences.
- Partner with product and engineering throughout development, from planning to QA.
- Assist with user research and help translate insights into actionable work.
- Develop relationships with the cross-functional team to design elegant, outcome-based solutions.
- Champion the user, whether client, contractor, or an internal teammate.
- Highly ambitious and goal-oriented.
- Passion for creating great end-user experiences, while balancing pragmatic intuition and innovation.
- Understanding of layout, typography and visual hierarchy.
- Ability to digest data to help inform design decisions.
- Familiarity with user research best practices.
- Communication skills to articulate the “why” behind design and partner cross-functionally.
- Comfort with Figma and other common design tools.
- Being part of a fast-growing startup revolutionizing the world of renovation.
- Working alongside and learning from an ambitious, kind, no-drama team.
- Forming meaningful relationships with a fun, multicultural team.
- Exposure to talented early employees of some of the most successful technology companies (Classpass, Rent the Runway, Casper, Tesla and more).
- Force simplicity.
- Problems are our fuel.
- Be tenacious and calm.
- Save money and time where we should.
- Speed is our advantage.
- Stay humble – in failure and success.