Product Design Summer 2021 Internship at BuzzFeed
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet. Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
We’re looking to hire one Product Design intern to join our Product Design team in the Summer of 2021. As a Product Design intern at BuzzFeed, you’ll work on designing end-to-end solutions for real problems alongside product managers, data scientists, and engineers.
At BuzzFeed, we’re genuinely curious about the way things work and ideally, you are too. You should also have at least one project in your portfolio demonstrating your design process and intentions behind your decisions.
You’ll be joining a team of product designers, getting feedback from other designers in bi-weekly critiques, jamming on ideas at Study Halls, and have a dedicated mentor to help you throughout your internship and beyond. Our last interns worked on a video feed for the Tasty app, our internal video tools, and the interface for our quizzes on the BuzzFeed app! BuzzFeed typically has 20-25 participants in our internship program. Along with other designers, you’ll get to work with interns in tech, video, business, and legal.
Read this blog post to learn more about the 2018 intern class or this blog post to learn more about what it’s like to be a product design intern at BuzzFeed from our previous interns.
This is a paid internship and will be fully remote. *Approved remote work locations include the following states - California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington.
- Design flows and experiences to be used by a large audience
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, and data scientists to help shape BuzzFeed’s products
- Take ownership over a project that solves a real problem for BuzzFeed
- Attend weekly design critiques, giving and getting feedback from other BuzzFeed product designers
- Able to clearly articulate your design decisions
- Comfortable collaborating with people across multiple disciplines like engineering, product, data science, and editorial
- Very familiar with and have experience using Sketch or Figma
- Sincerely interested in product design and are naturally curious about the way things work
Our expectations for interns are similar to what we’d look for in associate designers, details of which are documented in our roles doc.
- You must be legally eligible to work in the US
- You must be a rising junior or senior and currently enrolled in school
- You are able to work remotely from June 7th - August 27th, 2021 in one of the approved remote location states.
More about our team:
On the BuzzFeed Product Design team, we care deeply about building a diverse team, and then supporting every team member in their career and skill growth. We are dedicated to creating and maintaining a respectful workplace that values everyone on our team bringing their whole selves to work.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.