Web Design Intern - Summer 2020 at Squarespace
Squarespace is looking for an intern to join our Web Design Team in New York this summer. Our design team is at the foundation of every new project from designing award-winning templates and visualizing new product features, right through to concepting new design systems and products for our customers. We foster an entrepreneurial yet supportive environment where design defines us, ideas can come from anywhere, and execution is everything.
We work with other product designers and engineering departments to create visual design paradigms for future iterations of Squarespace. An understanding of contemporary design is a necessity for designers working within this group. You will need to be driven and intrinsically motivated to identify areas of opportunity to design and prototype in an environment where experimentation is encouraged.
This intern will report to a senior designer in our NYC headquarters.
- Research and design concepts for projects that are usable, beautiful, and marketable
- Work collaboratively with other designers to tackle complex design problems
- Work closely with developers during build processes
- Work with stakeholders in other departments (product design, strategy, engineering, marketing) to understand business objectives and provide solutions through design
- Understand user needs for varying expressibility and create design systems and features to help achieve them
- Work collaboratively with our content studio to create beautiful visual content
- Participate throughout a project’s entire creative process
- Recent graduate (2019 or later) or enrolled student (December 2020 or Spring 2021 anticipated graduation) in a design program
- Personal projects that display a high level of drive and passion for creativity and design in general, preferred
- Ability to put yourself in the customer’s shoes and come up with ideas that are relevant and enticing
- Affinity for consistency, color, typography, and a keen eye for subtle details
- Knowledge of current trends in design and technology
- Understanding of traditional graphic design principles and how they apply to contemporary digital design
A portfolio of relevant design work is required for consideration. It should illustrate your knowledge of graphic design, ideally with a focus in digital design.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.