Associate General Counsel, ODX at OnDeck
At ODX, we’re focused on helping banks and other financial institutions reinvent the small business lending process and digitize other financial products. We provide a unique combination of market-leading software, analytic insights, and professional services to deliver a game changing digital experience. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of OnDeck (NYSE: ONDK), one of the largest online small business lenders, ODX draws on the heritage of $12 billion loaned over the last decade. We’re improving the world’s economic landscape by changing the way small businesses access capital and financial products. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count.
An ODX-powered bank experience allows customers to apply digitally, receive immediate decisions, and obtain funding as fast as same day. At the core of the ODX solution is a modular, scalable, and secure SaaS platform that enables banks to create a fully end-to-end digital experience. By utilizing the ODX platform, banks can focus on their desired business outcomes such as improved customer experiences, increased portfolio growth, and reduced processing costs.
About The Role:
ODX is seeking an Associate General Counsel to support a variety of legal needs for a growing technology company serving complex and regulated financial institutions. You’ll be an integral member of the legal team and be able to provide sound and pragmatic legal advice on both commercial and regulatory issues to drive ODX’s business forward in a rapidly evolving FinTech landscape. Reporting directly to our General Counsel, you’ll have the opportunity to work on, and spearhead the efforts for, significant commercial deals for the Company, while also advising it on key regulations and laws impacting both the Company and its financial institution customers.
To excel in this role, you’ll be a self-starter who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced and collaborative environment, and who welcomes the challenge of tackling a variety of legal projects. Simply put, we are seeking a motivated attorney to help a rapidly growing technology company execute its business plan. While challenging, this will also be enormously interesting, fun and allow you to witness the real time impact that you have on the Company's business plan and its success.
As an Associate General Counsel at ODX, you will:
- Work closely with our business and technology teams, including senior management, to understand and achieve key business objectives and assist in developing compelling product and service offerings that meet the legal and regulatory requirements of our customers.
- Provide advice and guidance related to compliance with key banking laws and regulations, international, federal and state privacy and data security regulations and laws, including working with ODX’s business, technology and compliance teams to advise on, develop and implement appropriate practices, policies, procedures and legal controls.
- Advise on complex legal matters, analyze legal (and business, where applicable) issues, structure negotiate and draft, with minimal supervision, a variety of commercial, technology and related contracts, including complex partnership agreements related to use of the ODX platform.
- Monitor current and evolving statutes, regulations, and case law to identify legal issues of critical importance to the Company, including compliance with cross-border data transfer restrictions and data localization requirements
- Develop and support the continuous improvement of standard form agreements, legal processes and policies, and contract management.
- Supervise and coordinate with outside counsel, both domestic and international, on matters that require specialized legal attention
- Be a key contributor in helping to grow a dynamic, fast expanding company
- Have a respectable work-life balance
- Make a meaningful contribution to the Company's future and share in the rewards accordingly
Necessary qualifications for success:
- You have an undergraduate degree and a JD degree from top-tier schools
- You have at least 4-5 years of combined relevant legal experience at top-tier law firms, in-house experience is a strong plus
- You have financial regulatory experience, as well as experience independently handling complex commercial transactions; working knowledge of data privacy laws and prior experience with technology and SaaS agreements is a plus
- You are able to manage and drive the legal and regulatory aspects of complex business initiatives, both in the U.S. and internationally
- You are self-assured and energetic with a dynamic personality and can inspire the confidence of the business team, management, departmental colleagues and other support groups
- You are willing to learn and develop skills as a lawyer
- You have excellent negotiation, drafting, analytical and communication skills
- You are extremely well-organized and have excellent attention to detail
- You effectively prioritize and manage multiple matters
- You have the ability and desire to work both collaboratively and autonomously.
ODX’s groundbreaking partnership efforts with banks began in 2015 and have subsequently proved that a bank and a financial technology (FinTech) company can work collaboratively to mutual benefit on a digital lending platform. ODX is now offering expanded platform solutions for small business lending to a broad range of banks and financial institutions globally.
As the largest online small business lender in the U.S. and a leading online lender in Canada serving more than 700 different industries, we have been trusted by approximately 100,000 small businesses by providing them with financing to help them build growing and thriving enterprises. Since 2007, we’ve issued over $10 billion in capital.
Join us as we enable small businesses to achieve their goals. At OnDeck, we’re reinventing small business financing. We care intensely about each other, our company and the customers we serve, and are committed to making every day count. We are small enough to be nimble and strong enough to make a big impact.
OnDeck believes that each and every team member plays an important role in our company’s success. That’s why we strive to provide you and your family with a competitive and comprehensive benefit program with a variety of options and opportunities. We offer:
- Generous Vacation
- Comprehensive Healthcare
- Educational Reimbursement
- 401k Matching
- Parental Leave
- Sports Teams
- Stocked Kitchens
- Loan Consolidation
We are going to ask you to talk about your accomplishments. Here are some of ours:
- Built in Colorado, Top 100 Digital Companies in Colorado, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Built in NYC’s 100 Best Places to Work, 2019
- Colorado SHRM Best Companies to Work For in Colorado, 2015
- Crain’s New York Best Places to Work, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Crain’s New York Business Fast 50, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
- Denver Business Journal Largest Technology Employers in Denver, 2019
- Denver Business Journal Best Places to Work, 2019
- FinTech Breakthrough Award – Best Overall LendTech Company, 2018
- Fortune 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity, 2016
- Fortune 50 Best Small and Medium Companies to Work For, 2016
- Fortune 30 Best Workplaces in Finance and Insurance, 2016
- Fortune.com and Great Place to Work 100 Best Workplaces for Millennials, 2015
- Fortune/Great Place To Work Great Rated! People’s Picks: 20 Great Workplaces in Financial Services, 2015
- Forbes’ America’s Most Promising Companies, 2013, 2014
- Great Place to Work Certification, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Inc. 500|5000, 2013, 2014
- Inc. Hire Power, 2013
- Lending Tree’s Top Rated Customer Satisfaction, Q1 2018
- Selling Power Magazine Best Company to Sell For, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- US News & World Report, “Best Unsecured Business Loans of 2018” – Best for Term Loans
- Washington Post Top Places to Work, 2019
- WorldatWork, 2017 Seal of Distinction
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, OnDeck provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OnDeck complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OnDeck expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OnDeck’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**