Capital Markets Counsel
EquityZen is an early-mid stage financial technology company, backed by leading venture and private equity investors. We're looking for a Capital Markets Counsel to join our growing team as we redefine private markets. The Capital Markets Counsel will focus on managing transactions, while also contributing to regulatory, corporate, product, and other legal and business development matters. This person will also play a key role in driving change and innovation in the way we integrate people, processes and technology. If capital markets and closing deals in the FinTech space excites you, let's talk!
Our platform enables large, private companies to deliver liquidity to their shareholders while providing investors access to invest in these proven, pre-IPO companies. EquityZen has served over 150 pre-IPO technology companies and is proud to be considered a liquidity provider for 1 out of 3 of the largest unicorns. A testament to EquityZen's secure, paperless, and industry-defining online investment platform, we have successfully completed 8500+ private placement transactions. Focusing on automating an antiquated offline process has allowed us to lead the charge in building more efficient, cost-effective, and transparent private markets. Watch this short video to learn more: equityzen.com/press.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Act as one of EquityZen’s lead transactional attorneys and close deals in the nascent private secondary markets
- Lead legal efforts for EquityZen’s deal team, managing innovative private placement transactions and all deal documents
- Work with the deal and tech teams to improve process: make deals faster, more automated, and more efficient
- Iterate on standard forms to remove friction and improve conversion
- Advise business units on regulatory developments and compliance
- Negotiate and draft commercial contracts
THE RIGHT STUFF:
- 1-2 years (i) transactional experience in broader capital markets or investment funds at a top tier law firm; (ii) in-house transactional role at venture funded fintech startup; (iii) in-house capital markets role at an investment bank or hedge fund; or (iv) in-house transactional role at a private fund.
- Law degree from a recognized university and you’re qualified to practice as in-house counsel in the State of New York
- You love being a lawyer and want to be part of a close and collaborative legal team
- You are detail-oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, diligent, comfortable acting in the face of ambiguity, and driving processes to conclusion
- You are a humble team player and believe that the users, the company mission, and team come before you
- You are able to work independently with little or no supervision
- You have excellent communication skills (verbal, written and listening)
- You exercise first-rate judgment and have the ability to prioritize
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE:
- ’33 Act, ‘34 Act and/or ’40 Act experience
- Experience drafting the following documents: Share Transfer Agreements, Placement Agreements, Subscription Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, as well as Offering Memoranda and Risk Factors.
WHAT YOU’LL GAIN:
- Project management skills. You’ll close complex transactions, working closely with investors, shareholders, issuers as well as in-house and external attorneys.
- Client management. Direct client exposure, interfacing with leaders in the startup space and their retained counsel
- Second order drafting skills. The technology does the standard stuff, allowing you to focus on the substantive legal issues and negotiating points
- Cross-team collaboration. You’ll be part of the Legal team, and will work closely with Supply and Demand teams. You’ll also interface with Product and Tech to iterate on our legal product.
- Product skills. You’ll help make our product better by identifying ways to automate processes, remove friction, and improve conversion rates.
- FinTech expertise. Gain strong experience in legal issues around the FinTech space and in private transactions
- Equity, competitive salary, full employee benefits (health, dental, vision), flexible paid time off, stocked fridge, a supply of snacks, weekly catered lunch and more!
- Opportunity to work with a smart, passionate, mission-focused team that also knows how to have fun
EquityZen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EquityZen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. EquityZen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of EquityZen’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Read Full Job Description