Commercial Counsel at Casper
Casper is seeking a business-minded and self-motivated commercial attorney with a minimum of five years of relevant corporate and commercial experience to join its in-house legal team. The ideal candidate has a minimum of three years of experience gained at a leading law firm and additional in-house experience gained at a technology or consumer-facing e-commerce company. In this position, you will be responsible for leading a variety of corporate and commercial initiatives supporting significant areas of Casper’s business, and will have the opportunity to interface with executive and business teams to manage and execute the organization’s operational needs and strategic priorities
This position reports directly to the Deputy General Counsel and is based in New York City.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a variety of commercial agreements, including marketing, advertising, vendor, supplier, logistics, wholesale, master services, license, SaaS/technology, confidentiality and other operational and commercial agreements.
- Providing advice and counsel to business team leaders on all legal matters affecting the candidate’s areas of coverage, with an emphasis on commercial operations and transactions, marketing and advertising matters, and labor & employment matters, in consultation with other members of the Legal team and outside counsel, as necessary.
- Building close relationships with personnel at supported business operations and obtaining and maintaining a strong knowledge of the company’s products and the objectives of those operations.
- Leading or assisting the Legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and refinement of forms, processes and procedures to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Leading and assisting the Legal team's efforts in conducting periodic employee trainings on matters related to contract processes, negotiation best practices, commercial implications, legal risks, privacy & data security, and corporate policies and procedures.
- Engaging in or leading various other Legal projects and duties, including corporate, compliance and public policy matters.
- Providing substantive support for the rest of the Legal team on an as-needed basis.
The successful candidate must:
- Possess 5+ years of relevant experience, preference for at least three years at a leading law firm with additional in-house experience at a technology or Internet (ideally consumer-facing web or ecommerce) company preferred
- Be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State bar
- Have strong general commercial contract and advisory skills and experience
- Be passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches your IQ, and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team and with internal clients
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results
- Be a multi-tasker with excellent analytical and legal skills
- Have the ability to understand business needs and partner with the business to create solutions
- Strong understanding of the interplay between legal and business risk
- Be organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and flexible
- Be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Participation in our HQ bonus program for some splurging and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...)..
- Wellness programs like cash incentives for tracking sleep and fitness
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- A full gifted bed set when you join and product discounts for friends and family!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you!