Contract Attorney (Commercial Contracts) at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. We’ve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women
About the Job:
You will support the legal team in its drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts at Rent the Runway. This role will have an important impact on the business by helping manage our high volume of mission-critical commercial work. This a Part Time, temporary position with an estimated duration of 3-4 months.
What You’ll Do:
- Structure and draft a high volume and variety of commercial contracts, including procurement, IT, licensing, SaaS agreements, non-disclosure agreements, master services agreements, statements of work, marketing agreements, influencer agreements, consulting agreements and many other types of agreements.
- Work collaboratively with various departments throughout the business, including finance, accounting, operations, engineering and security/IT.
- Assist with the enforcement of department and company policies around our contracting process including our vetting and signatory policies.
- Research legal issues, review and analyze contract provisions and update contract templates.
You Should Have:
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and in-house legal department.
- Experience advising high growth tech companies.
- Significant commercial transactional experience and the ability to analyze and summarize complex agreements.
- Experience drafting and negotiating data privacy provisions.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear, “plain English” guidance for non-lawyers.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to pick things up quickly, and work well in a fast-paced environment.