Greater NYC Area
At Teachable, we’re on a mission to empower creators everywhere to transform their knowledge into courses. Through our company platform, we help tens of thousands of creators build courses and teach online. Our software makes it easy to create beautiful online courses, and provides creators an integrated solution to collect payments from their students. Sign up with Teachable, create amazing courses, share those courses with students from around the world, get rewarded financially. Simple, right?
However, behind the scenes is a complex world of law and compliance that we manage diligently every day to make sure that our creators, students, employees, and shareholders are kept safe and sound. From tax issues, to copyright and trademark, to employment law, to the changing landscape of privacy laws, there’s never a dull day around here. If you’ve got the desire to join a passionate team who’s making a difference by empowering everyone to teach what they know, then please drop us a line!
Directly reporting to the VP, Legal and Compliance, you will be a central member of the team tasked with helping uncover, understand, and ultimately mitigate the legal and compliance risks that Teachable faces. You will be focusing your time on two sides of the same coin - law and compliance. In this role, it’s imperative that you can research and synthesize the legal requirements that we face and then pivot to implement policies, programs, or projects that ensure compliance with those laws. This person in this role will be a key figure assisting with keeping the organization safe and sound as we rapidly progress on our mission.
- You’re not satisfied with the status quo
- You like variety and challenge yourself to know a lot about a lot of things
- You are decisive and take action but can collaborate to make things happen
- You’re motivated by mission and thrive in unstructured environments
- You’re here to make a difference (but you don’t mind the snacks and ping pong)
- You have some expertise in tax, copyright, trademark, privacy, risk management, payments, or compliance, and you want to learn about the things on that list that you don’t know
- You’re not comfortable with only partially solving the equation and good enough isn’t good enough for you
- You roll up your sleeves and get your stuff done
- You also know how to have fun and want to be part of a dynamic, diverse environment filled with smart, unique, passionate people
- Perform legal and compliance related research to guide the company’s initiatives
- Draft and negotiate contracts
- Become an SME on Privacy laws including the CCPA & GDPR, and advise on best practices to comply
- Support payments processes, including fraud initiatives, customer screening, tax collection
- Develop deep expertise in state and local taxes and how our platform needs to function in both a post-Wayfair world, but also on an international scope
- Assist in building the global compliance program at Teachable
- Respond to copyright and trademark questions, including DMCA notifications
- Work on the front lines with our Customer Operations team directly responding to legal and compliance issues that may be raised by our customers
- Implement risk assessments on various topics, including privacy and information security
- Stay current on issues that may impact us, such as OFAC, AML Requirements, State Tax Legislation, etc.
- Juris Doctor
- New York Bar membership or registration (or ability to register) as In-House Counsel in New York
- 2 - 5 years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or at a startup
- Experience in payments, financial services, tax, privacy, regulatory compliance, or copyright a plus
- Ability to roll up sleeves and get things done
- Proficiency with taking complex issues and reducing them consumable, actionable information (after all slack isn’t very conducive to long memos)
- Detail oriented
- Desire and comfortableness working in a startup environment
Teachable is an instructor-focused online course platform that lets course creators build and sell courses on any topic, from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Our thousands of instructors have earned more than $300M to date, and we've raised $12.5m+ from a group of top venture investors. We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent in NYC.
At Teachable, you will have the freedom to do your job and be an integral member of our tight-knit team, and you can do it all in our beautiful office in Flatiron with great benefits and perks. You’ll also get access to an ever-growing base of online educators, and your work will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. If you're on the fence about applying, please do! Additionally, Teachable is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to a fair and consistent interview process, and to constantly working to ensure an inclusive work environment.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
Read Full Job Description