At Paxos, we are creating the infrastructure for a new, open financial system - one that anyone can access and participate in, and that operates efficiently. There are billions of people in the world who are unbanked or underbanked, and trillions of dollars that are locked up because of the inefficiencies of the legacy system. We envision a new system that allows any asset to move instantaneously, anywhere in the world - to unlock the potential of assets and people everywhere. Our customers include some of the biggest enterprises in the world like PayPal, Credit-Suisse and Societe Generale, and together we are upgrading the global financial system using modern blockchain and crypto technology.
We are looking for a Deputy General Counsel to join our growing team. As a company that puts trustworthiness at the forefront, the Deputy General Counsel will help ensure that we stay ahead of regulatory obligations in every jurisdiction where we operate and support our growth strategy for new markets. This role will also advise on the development and implementation of new products and services, as well as support the company’s broader growth by advising on employment, intellectual property, and data privacy issues. This role will engage proactively with the rest of the company, including the Operations, Product, Engineering, Finance, and Business Development teams to advance the company’s mission.
What you will do:
- Drive legal support for the implementation and development of new products and services
- Be a key leader for the legal department and the company at large
- Analyze laws and regulations in the US and foreign jurisdictions to support development of business opportunities
- Innovate the operations of Paxos’s legal team to maximize efficiency and effectiveness
- Liaise with outside counsel to improve efficient communications and maximize value
- Keep up with legal trends in blockchain and digital assets to better inform legal advice given to the company
What you need to have:
- A law degree
- 12+ years experience in complex regulatory matters (banking and payments regulatory a plus)
- 4+ years in-house at a start-up
- 4+ years management experience
- A proactive attitude and ability to work cross-functionally within the company
- An ability to engage constructively with internal and external stakeholders, including regulators
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent writing skills
- An ability to think through complex concepts and tackle them in an organized and efficient manner
Other than these qualifications, we're hoping to bring someone on board who loves what they do and can't wait to join an amazing team.
Paxos is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical and mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Who we are: We are a diverse group of individuals with backgrounds and experience in banking, startups, tech giants, and big-five consulting firms. We currently have about 110 employees across offices in New York, London and Singapore and have big plans for our growth. We’re looking for collaborative, creative, hard-working and intellectually curious people to help us make our vision a reality.
Why we matter: Paxos is the only technology company building financial services solutions that both customers and regulators can trust. We’re committed to pushing the boundaries of technology while also working with important stakeholder groups so we can build a financial system that is open and accessible to anyone around the world.
Who are our customers: Our customers run the gamut from individuals seeking access to digital assets and those who don’t want to be tied to a physical banking system, to large institutions seeking to improve their settlement infrastructure. Some of our clients today include big names like Credit Suisse, Societe Generale, Macquarie, INTL FCStone and Virtu.
How we work: Paxos is driven by our four values. We believe that every Paxos employee is an owner, and employees consistently search for the truth in their work. We also believe in real-time candor and a shared commitment to excellence. These values are ingrained in everything we do and influence how we communicate and collaborate as an organization.
Why we are a great place to work: Paxos has been consistently named a Best Place to Work by BuiltIn. We offer all of the usual startup stuff like healthy snacks, coffee, and ping pong but we also offer generous healthcare coverage, PTO, and family leave. (We want employees to care for themselves both in and out of office.) In addition to the benefits and perks, Paxos offers employees the chance to have a real and measurable impact on a growing business: what you do today directly influences the Company goals. As a result, we enable every employee to substantially grow their careers.
Learn more about us:
- The Paxos Blog
- Paxos Raises $300 Million Series D
- The Future of Paypal and Paxos Partnership
- Unchained Podcast: Paxos’s Partnership With PayPal
- Paxos in 2020: A Year in Review
- Most Influential in 2020 CEO Feature
- Fireside Chat with Paxos CEO Chad Cascarilla and Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev