The General Counsel will oversee all legal matters and advise the Company’s CEO, COO and senior management on company strategies and their implementation. In addition to structuring complex business transactions and negotiating critical contracts, the General Counsel will manage the legal, data privacy, compliance, and risk management functions, and will oversee the work of outside counsel.
We are looking for an experienced attorney with excellent judgment and a sense of urgency to evaluate and prioritize the day-to-day and long-term legal needs of a fast-growing technology company. Applicants should have strong contracts and online privacy experience as well as the broad experience necessary to oversee all in-house legal needs.
- Provide oversight, solutions-oriented guidance and recommendations to stakeholders and senior management on all legal matters, including contracts, privacy, corporate, intellectual property, international and employment.
- Ensure the legal rights of the Company are protected, its legal obligations and potential risks are well defined and understood by management, and that the Company complies with applicable laws and regulations.
- Review and negotiate contracts, including enterprise software licenses, partner contracts, vendor agreements and NDAs.
- Oversee GDPR and privacy compliance and monitor industry and legislative developments related to data use and disclosure.
- Support the Company’s expansion into new markets, including establishing new foreign entities and compliance with local employment laws.
- Oversee all general corporate matters, including stock option grants, corporate governance and support for foreign subsidiaries.
- Oversees the selection and management of all outside counsel.
- Manage a small internal legal team.
- Advise on and implement best practices for legal affairs.
- JD from accredited U.S. law school required, and a license to practice law in New York and in good standing
- Minimum of 10 years legal experience, preferably starting in a law firm and then at least 4 years in-house experience at a growth company
- Experience structuring and negotiating contracts for a software / SaaS company
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and interacting with a board directors
- Experience in intellectual property law, including licensing of IP rights and IP due diligence
- Experience/exposure to data privacy regulations
- Experience working in AdTech and Media
- IPO experience
- Prior experience as General Counsel
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.