Transfix, named to Forbes’ “Next Billion-Dollar Startups” list, is the leading transportation solutions provider whose digital brokerage marketplace and logistics software offerings are helping transform the $800 billion trucking industry. Since its founding in 2013, Transfix has been driven by a mission to deliver simple, smart, and sustainable solutions for shippers and carriers, powered by people and technology.
By combining deep industry expertise and a best in class carrier network with cutting-edge technology, Transfix is reimagining the world of transportation. Fortune 500 companies such as Staples, Unilever, Target and Wayfair rely on Transfix to handle their most important FTL freight needs. With instant pricing, algorithmic matching, superior service, and unmatched intelligence, Transfix is optimizing the supply chain from start to finish. Come leave a positive impact on the environment as we help reduce the carbon footprint caused by the 65 billion wasted miles on the road.
The problems we solve everyday are real and require creativity, grit, and determination. Recognized as one of Built In’s Best Places to Work 2021, Transfix is building a culture that challenges norms while fostering experimentation and personal growth. We’re hiring team members who are passionate and are energized by the vision to simplify and transform one of the largest and most complex industries through technology, data and a strong commitment to customers.
As our first General Counsel, your advice and creativity will help shape the legal, product, and policy strategies for our hyper fast-growing mission-driven business. You will be responsible for building out the legal department, setting legal strategy, overseeing key deals and relationships, and serving as a partner to the rest of the company. Your purview will span across product, regulatory, commercial, government affairs, privacy, corporate, IP, employment, policy, and compliance. And beyond just the legal function, we’re looking for a leader and business partner who will have input and influence across the company, and who will serve as a key member of Transfix’s leadership team reporting directly to the CEO.
If you’re excited about transforming an industry, being part of an innovative culture, and making a positive impact on the environment, send us your resume.
What You’ll Do:
- Oversee and help develop our legal strategy for a wide variety of product, corporate, regulatory, and commercial opportunities.
- Advise our leadership, product, revenue, and other teams, and help us understand when to take risks, how to mitigate them, and when to avoid them. Bring your deep experience and product knowledge to bear to give appropriate recommendations based on the context.
- Lead and scale the corporate function including fundraising, M&A, and corporate governance. Work closely with the Board of Directors. Directly manage the work of our Sr. Contract Manager and the work of outside counsel, which currently includes corporate, commercial/regulatory, trademark, and employment counsel.
- Interface with our key partners (including customers, partners, and regulators) to advise on regulatory and privacy-related issues.
- Oversee the compliance team and manage our policy and regulatory relationships.
- Wear many hats and roll up your sleeves. As the company’s first GC you must feel comfortable with ambiguity and building out the legal and compliance functions in addition to enthusiastically embracing the mundane, such as contract drafting and review.
- Serve as a polished representative to clients, media, investors, partners and more.
- Initiating, monitoring and maintaining systems and policies necessary to safeguard the physical, financial and human capital of the organization, providers, and customers.
- Passionate individual who embraces Transfix’s mission.
- 12+ years of relevant legal experience, ideally gained at an AmLaw 100 firm followed by senior in-house roles at technology companies.
- General Counsel with start-up experience preferred, but we will consider compelling Deputy General Counsel candidates from larger tech companies.
- Public company and corporate experience are a plus.
- Proven experience building and leading teams in high-growth environments.
- A strong track record of positive outcomes for those you have hired and managed in the past.
- The ability to quickly learn the nuances of transportation regulation.
- Excellent communication and project management skills, and the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Shipping-oriented mindset, focused on achieving results quickly.
- You are in good standing with the New York Bar (or have the ability to immediately qualify for RIHC status).
To all recruitment agencies: Transfix does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and will not be held responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.