You are an outstanding attorney looking to join a groundbreaking team that is making investing smarter, easier, and more accessible for everyone. You are a problem solver with excellent legal judgment and outstanding attention to detail. You are mission-driven, business-oriented, independent, and quick to learn. You can communicate clearly and persuasively to a wide variety of audiences. You thrive in a dynamic, technology-driven environment and are comfortable taking action in the face of ambiguity. You are eager to make an impact and are always seeking new and improved ways of doing things.A Day in the Life:
- Draft, review, negotiate, and interpret a wide variety of commercial agreements
- Advise business teams on commercial legal issues and provide tactical and strategic advice
- Partner with business teams on development and execution of new and existing products, initiatives, and lines of business
- Assist in managing corporate matters including board/shareholder matters and equity plan administration
- Work cross-functionally to identify, investigate and manage risks across the business
- Build and improve our standard form agreements and legal processes
- Help to resolve and avoid potential disputes
- Work closely with product, engineering, and our lines of business to navigate regulatory and compliance requirements, operational issues, and related matters
- Analyze and provide guidance to the company on evolving rules, regulations, and trends impacting the financial services industry
- Collaborate with outside counsel when necessary
- A JD, admission to a state bar, and 4+ years of relevant in-house or firm experience
- A bias toward action and solving problems, not just issue spotting
- A passion for closing deals
- The ability to take ownership over your work and manage projects independently
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort navigating complexity and creating simplicity where possible
- An adaptable mindset and innate curiosity
- Passion for Betterment’s product and mission
Joining Betterment means joining a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your health and well-being, and being on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
- You’ll join a Community:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- Regardless of where you are, we will ensure you're well set up and cared for, through gym reimbursements, a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
- You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional spending for outside learning.
- Contribute to our knowledge and transparent workspace through mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, show & tells, etc.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]About Betterment
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 500,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.