We're looking for a Patent Counsel to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work with the Legal Privacy & Compliance team to think and act outside the box to create game-changing IP strategies that will enable Flatiron to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Reporting to the General Counsel, you'll be versatile and passionate in handling new ways to craft IP positions and protection for groundbreaking innovation supporting our goals of improving treatment for cancer patients and significantly accelerating cancer research. In addition, you'll also:
- Perform invention harvesting, global patent preparation and prosecution, portfolio development and management, IP searching and/or landscaping, due diligence assessments, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation strategies individually and in cross-functional teams
- Develop an understanding of the technology and business strategy to both inform the various IP initiatives as well as the underlying business decision-making processes
- Advise the business stakeholders on IP strategies, risk, and, as necessary, deploy associated mitigation strategies
- Provide IP diligence, advice and strategy for IP transactions to business development, engineering and research in support of local and globally-driven collaborations, licenses, mergers, acquisitions, equity investments, and divestitures
- Regularly anticipate future challenges and risks and innovate to find solutions and create business value in response to a highly competitive, dynamic marketplace
- Foster strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholders and create efficient and effective processes for communicating, advising and working with stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Direct and manage outside counsel, related budgets and, where applicable, negotiate rates, project fees, and timelines
- Cultivate a culture that reflects a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion and community
You will be working with engineers, clinicians, scientists, biostatisticians, product managers, business development, attorneys and staff across a dynamic, diverse and growing organization pushing the boundaries of what is possible in an emerging industry.
Who You Are
You're a strategic Patent Counsel with 7+ years of experience creating, prosecuting, and advising on complex global patent portfolios and associated strategies relating to software, computer systems, computer-implemented inventions, database architectures, data science, artificial intelligence, and/or machine learning applications that leverage data analytics to achieve real-world outcomes. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- J.D. and admission to a U.S. State bar or the District of Columbia bar
- 7+ years of experience in creating, prosecuting, and advising on complex global patent portfolios and associated strategies relating to software, computer systems, computer-implemented inventions, database architectures, data science, artificial intelligence, and/or machine learning applications that leverage data analytics to achieve real-world outcomes
- Admission to the United States Patent and Trademark Office Bar
- Solid knowledge of global intellectual property laws and practices
- Experience and proficiency with creating and using complex spreadsheets (e.g., Excel) and/or databases to manage large amounts of information
- Experience with adverse proceedings (e.g., USPTO adverse proceedings, EPO adverse proceedings, IPRs, and/or US litigation) is a plus
- Experience serving as a strategic legal advisor in a corporation is a plus.
- Experience providing advice on complex licensing and/or other transactional matters is a plus
- Track record of success in innovating and creating business value, fostering teamwork and collaboration with other teams, and influencing and resolving conflict
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- An advanced degree in applied mathematics, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, physics, or systems engineering; a strong technological aptitude for learning and working with a range of technologies
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.