Senior Corporate Counsel (Privacy, Product and IP)
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. We’ve pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women
About the Job:
As Senior Counsel, Privacy, Product and IP, you will be responsible for product counseling, privacy compliance and intellectual property matters at Rent the Runway. You will work collaboratively with your business partners to ensure that Rent the Runway’s products and processes are compliant with applicable laws and regulations relating to consumer protection and privacy. In particular, you will play a key leadership role in Rent the Runway’s compliance with global privacy laws and regulations. You’ll also oversee Rent the Runway’s IP strategy and portfolio. Rent the Runway is in high growth mode and expanding rapidly, so you will serve an instrumental role in helping manage our growth and shaping and impacting our company and culture as we continue to scale.
What You’ll Do:
- Analyze our products, initiatives, and services and provide practical legal risk mitigation strategies.
- Be a thought leader and subject matter expert to ensure Rent the Runway’s compliance with evolving global privacy regulations (e.g., GDPR, COPPA, CCPA, other state and federal consumer protection and privacy laws).
- In partnership with the security team, drive operational privacy compliance initiatives, build scalable and effective processes, and continue to develop internal privacy policies, procedures, and training programs.
- Review, draft and revise contracts with a focus on complex IP and privacy matters including, data usage and license agreements, vendor/service provider agreements, customer agreements, data transfer and data protection agreements.
- Leverage your knowledge of US breach response regulations and best-in-class data incident response plans to lead Rent the Runway’s incident response plans and processes in partnership with the security team.
- Provide thought leadership on Rent the Runway’s IP strategy and oversee our IP portfolio.
- Keep abreast of legal decisions, statutory changes and other developments that affect our product, IP, and privacy initiatives, and form strong relationships with cross-functional stakeholders to provide training and updates on product, privacy and IP topics.
- Strategically hire, manage, and leverage outside counsel and other resources as needed to accomplish Rent the Runway’s product, IP and privacy objectives.
- Be a team player and understand the value of collaboration, while also exercising a great deal of autonomy in your job and how you execute your responsibilities.
- Serve as a mentor to other members of the legal team.
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and in-house legal department. Prior in-house experience is essential.
- Experience advising high growth tech companies.
- Technology litigation experience is a plus.
- A deep understanding of privacy, IP, and consumer protection regulations, and industry trends.
- Experience working in a fast-growing and disruptive business.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear, “plain English” guidance for non-lawyers.
- Must be a team player who will roll up their sleeves and take on additional responsibilities, while also being able to work independently and think strategically.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment and an ability to calibrate for when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to pick things up quickly, and work well in a fast-paced environment.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!