Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Job:
As Senior Privacy & Technology Counsel you will serve as the lead attorney and strategic advisor supporting Rent the Runway’s engineering, IT, and security teams and collaborate with colleagues across the business on a variety of technology-related projects and initiatives. You will be responsible for privacy compliance and intellectual property matters at Rent the Runway and support commercial technology transactions. You will have an influential leadership role and opportunity to positively impact our culture and employee experience.
You will report to the General Counsel. In light of COVID-19, you will work remotely until Rent the Runway’s NYC headquarters reopen.
What You’ll Do:
- Be a thought leader and subject matter expert to ensure Rent the Runway’s compliance with evolving global privacy regulations (e.g., GDPR, COPPA, CCPA, other state privacy laws).
- In partnership with the security team, drive operational privacy compliance initiatives, build scalable and effective processes, and continue to develop and lead internal privacy policies, procedures, and training programs.
- Lead and oversee Rent the Runway’s incident response plans and processes in partnership with the security team.
- Structure, negotiate, and draft a variety of cloud, software licensing, hardware procurement, and IT services agreements, as well as other complex commercial agreements with a focus on privacy and IP matters.
- Partner with the product and engineering teams and your colleagues on the legal team to advise on privacy, open source software, and IP considerations in the development of products and features.
- Develop and lead Rent the Runway’s IP strategy and oversee our IP portfolio.
- Oversee litigation related to IP, privacy, and technology matters.
- Monitor and advise on emerging regulations.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Serve as a mentor to other members of the legal team.
- JD and NY bar membership or registration as an in-house attorney in NY.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience. Prior in-house experience is essential.
- Expertise in global privacy regulations and implementing privacy compliance programs in-house.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a variety of cloud, software license, and IT service agreements.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear, “plain English” guidance for non-lawyers.
- A highly collaborative approach, while also exercising a great deal of autonomy as a subject matter expert.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment and an ability to calibrate when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right.
- An ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong relationships and influence across departments.
- An ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects under tight deadlines.
- Experience with technology and/or IP litigation is a plus.
- Managerial experience is a plus.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.