Director of Communications
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we’re unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 3 out of 4 teachers in the U.S., Canada, and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive marketplace where teachers have created more than 4 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than 6 million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. According to Fast Company, Teachers Pay Teachers is one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world. If you haven’t heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask any teacher!
Who we are looking for:
We’re a team of good people doing great things. We listen first. We love our work. And we are all teachers and learners in whatever we do. We believe that productivity is never an accident. It’s the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, passionate teamwork, and focused effort. We want every day to be fun and to matter.
As the Director of Communications, you will help us bring our story to the world by showing how TpT is a transformational force in education. You will build successful PR programs and develop our thought leadership and overall communications strategy. The ideal candidate loves both setting strategy and executing on it, and excels in mentoring others. You will report to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications and manage our Social Media Manager.
- Elevate TpT’s communications strategy across all channels, from feature stories to social media, further establishing the company and its content creators as innovators and influencers in the education industry
- Create and pitch compelling narratives, uncovering differentiated media angles that will have a direct impact on TpT business objectives
- Create and execute a communications calendar that aligns launches, initiatives, and corporate milestones with PR opportunities
- Understand broader industry trends to find proactive opportunities for outreach
- Develop and train spokespeople, and manage press opportunities and speaking engagements for executives
- Build relationships with external influencers, including Teacher Authors.
- Serve as a spokesperson as needed
- Monitor high visibility and business-building awards programs and manage company entries
- Provide crisis management counsel, guiding TpT through reputation-impacting events as needed
- Serve as a strategic partner to senior leadership on internal communications to support employee engagement and retention
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field is preferred
- 8-10 years experience in-house or at an agency (a combination of both is preferred)
- Proven history of driving feature press strategy and securing high-impact media placements
- Crisis communications experience required
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Exceptional written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- A knack for storytelling and creating compelling narratives
- Executive presence; comfortable providing incisive, strategic counsel to senior executives and business heads
- Possesses a level of passion and creativity that inspires people
- Appreciates feedback and values honest, thoughtful critique
- Is a data-driven, results-oriented team player
- Experience within the news industry or as a journalist
- Experience working in technology and education
- Comfortable with taking risk
- Parental leave for both mothers and fathers to be able to take some quality time in bonding with their new addition to their family
- Comprehensive Medical & Dental Benefits
- Mother’s Room
- Quiet Room
- Company Events (Bring Your Child to Work Day, Field Day, Camp TpT, Hackathons, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.