Teachable is looking for an experienced Product leader to deepen our ongoing commitment to helping our customers not just earn more revenue from their products, but to make it easier for them to handle the financial aspects of their business as well.
In partnership with a Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for the features and functionality in our platform we call “The Money Side”. This encompasses everything from ecommerce sales funnels to payment processing, tax compliance, author / affiliate / owner payouts and a whole lot more that every incoming dollar (or euro, yen, what have you) has to journey through on its way from our customer’s custom to our customer.
Our development teams are structured into cross-functional Product Engineering pods each consisting of 4-6 engineers (including an engineering lead or manager), a Product Manager, a Product Designer. You will oversee multiple pods spanning feature, tools, and infrastructure development, supporting your engineering leads and managers and ensuring the successful execution of their projects and operations. On the strategic level you will be responsible for developing the overall direction and roadmap for our money product and infrastructure capabilities in alignment with your engineering partners, and other stakeholders such as our CFO, CTO, and VP of Compliance. You will also be expected to continue building your team’s capabilities as your area of the business grows by hiring the right people and structuring the teams to be as effective as possible.
You are also expected to partner with the VP of Product and other Director-level leaders in the Technology organization to build towards our shared vision and strategy, and develop the Money crew’s strategy as a key part of it.
You are not expected to do hands-on Product Management as a core responsibility. You’re first and foremost responsible for coaching and guiding very capable individual contributor Product Managers to fulfill their responsibilities at their full potential.
This position reports into the VP of Product.
We already handle about half a billion dollars annually for our customers and expect that to move into full “three commas” within a year or so. Well over 10,000 solopreneurs and small businesses trust us with their revenue and we intend to keep working harder and harder to help them run their businesses successfully and effortlessly. Hopefully with your assistance.
- Strategic leadership of the Money capabilities of our platform, including sales funnels, conversion, taxes / compliance, and payouts.
- People management of individual contributor Product Managers in the Money crew, including mentorship and career development.
- Connecting the dots between R&D capital allocation and financial results.
- Collaborate with the rest of Product Engineering leadership to ensure we’re building towards a unified product vision with uniform methodologies.
- Keep the Money crew’s primary stakeholders informed, engaged and excited about the development of our Money offering.
- Bridge tactics and strategy, and connect the dots between the execution of multiple cross-functional Product Engineering pods.
What We’re Looking For:
- A Product leader with a proven track record both as a solid individual contributor, and more strategic leader
- At least 5-10 years of experience in software products, preferably with the software-as-a-service business model
- A people manager who has managed teams of at least 3-5 highly skilled experts successfully
- Strong domain knowledge of financial products and at least 3-5 years of experience working in a Product Management / leadership capacity in them
- Experience working in growth stage ($10MM - $100MM ARR) companies
- Solid financial and business strategy skills, and a willingness to dive into a profit & loss statement to drive strategy, even while keeping the customer as their primary focus
- Thrives in ambiguity and can independently make forward progress in situations when given minimal guidance
Preferred Domain Knowledge
- Ecommerce best practices, sales funnels etc
- Tax and compliance topics, especially around sales tax (international and domestic), marketplace facilitator regulation etc.
- Mitigating bad actors, fraud, chargebacks etc.
- Tracking and accounting of earnings, including affiliate earnings, both internally and customer-facing
- Integrations to 3rd party providers—for what it’s worth, we use Stripe, Paypal, and Vertex a lot
- Experience with complex financial system, including flow of funds (ACH, debit, PayPal, etc.)
- Account setup and onboarding for financial products, including "know your customer"
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than $850 million to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now a part of the Hotmart group, an international startup, based in Brazil, with over 800 employees worldwide. Hotmart's mission is to help creators earn a living from their passion.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
We plan to be optionally remote until at least September 2021
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Discretionary paid vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
Dependent Care FSA
50% gym & wellness match
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Finally, please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. We'd do this anyway, but federal law requires us to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.