Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
You love design and are passionate about building intuitive, delightful customer experiences. You know that product experiences exist across platforms, and you approach problems holistically. You’re self-motivated, learning new skills quickly, with a sense for what you’ll develop next. You’re frustrated with financial products and believe that customers deserve better.
At Betterment we hire designers with a deep foundation in design and user experience principles—folks who are talented and eager to both learn from their colleagues and help make them better. As a design team, we're focused and always strive for excellence. And as a company, we’re committed to empowering people to do what’s best for their money so they can live better.
This role is remote eligible. We are hiring in all states except COA Day in the Life:
- Contribute directly to projects on our rapidly growing Betterment for Business platform.
- Contribute to product strategy by identifying new opportunities, generating innovative and inclusive solutions, crafting emotionally engaging designs, and improving existing features
- Partner with product management, engineering and many others, working closely in cross-disciplinary teams
- Be responsible for all aspects of design for your projects from inception through launch
- Make informed design decisions based on competitor analysis, customer feedback, site metrics and usability reports
- Further develop your design chops, working among a talented team of designers, providing one another feedback and perspective, aiming for a cohesive experience across all touchpoints
- Establish and maintain design principles and patterns to be used across all channels and experiences
- Relevant experience as a product designer
- A portfolio of extraordinary product design work
- Accessibility first design thinking
- Interest in development for enterprise applications
- An iterative, customer-centric approach to designing experiences
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Experience with and appreciation for user research and usability testing
- Strategic product thinking and vision
- Shipped great products to real people
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, benefit packages that fit your needs (infertility and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits available), flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.