Product Designer at Lantern
About the Role
We’re looking for a Product Designer to join our team as its first Product hire. In this role, you’ll gain a deep understanding of our customer base, identifying and filling product gaps that improve their experience and drive growth. Our ideal candidate has played a key role in all phases of the design process and is eager to build process from the ground up.
- Deeply understand and define our users’ needs
- Identify where we’re falling short in fulfilling those needs
- Design and propose product solutions
- Analyze the efficacy of those solutions
What Sets Us Apart
We get to improve peoples’ lives. Lantern makes peoples’ toughest moments easier to wade through. You get to be a part of that.
You'll get equity. Not only will you get to help define how Lantern scales, but you’ll own some of it.
We provide healthcare. We offer a benefits package that covers health, dental, vision, and life.
Our WFH Policy is flexible. During non-pandemic times, working from the office is our standard (we want to see you!), but we get that some days you’re more productive from home or you just need to catch up on laundry while you work.
You can take the time off you need. We have unlimited vacation. Sometimes that means that people don’t take what they need, so we have a minimum requirement of taking 8 days per year. We observe 9 holidays (plus the week between Christmas and New Years) and you get your Birthday off!
- Take 10 sick + personal days
- For parental leave, we offer 3 months for birthing parents and 6 weeks for non-birthing parents.
- We provide up to three weeks of paid leave for employees dealing with the death of an immediate family member (as defined by the employee) and one week of leave for an extended family member. With unlimited vacation and the ability to work from home, we’ll work with you to make sure you’re getting the time and flexibility you need.
We have an incredible team. We’re motivated, collaborative, scrappy, and love to celebrate wins. We can’t wait for you to join us!
The Nuts and Bolts
Every day you will:
- Lead UX research initiatives to better understand user behaviors, pain points, and needs
- Identify product improvement opportunities based on user behavior
- Design simple, data-driven experiences to solve for any UX issues
- Revise existing designs to meet changing customer preferences
- Ensure that designs actually solved the problem we set out to solve, and if not, proactively drive necessary improvements
- Help maintain visual consistency among all products and features
- Help shape the product strategy and vision
- Acutely aware of how your work impacts the user, and ultimately the business
- Someone who asks a lot of questions, always trying to get to the heart of an issue
- Comfortable designing, building, and testing in an iterative way
- Comfortable pushing back. We’ve got lots of great ideas to improve our offerings, but they can’t all happen at once! It will fall on you to put the user at the center of those conversations and articulate why certain requests have to be a “not right now” or even a “no.”
- A ruthless prioritizer. See above
- To be excited about building Product Design processes and systems from zero
- 3-5 years of experience delivering highly impactful, user-friendly products and features on both mobile and web
- Ability to develop efficient systems and identify areas for process optimization
- Ability to synthesizes a wide variety of data inputs into clearly defined user problems
- Enough knowledge of frontend technology to work integratively with our Engineering Team
$80,000 - $100,000 dependent upon experience + equity.
Our aim is to move through this process quickly; we’d love to have someone join the team in January 2021. That said, making sure we’ve got the right fit is important to us. Here’s what you can expect:
- Phone Screen. You’ll have a quick phone call with our COO so we can learn more about your experience and why you want to work at Lantern.
- Assessment. We’ll provide a short at-home assessment where you can show off your ability and thought process.
- Face-to-Face. For safety, this will be a video interview: you'll meet our CEO, our Technical Lead, and at least one other member of our Engineering Team.
- Product Advisor Review. You’ll have a 15-minute call with one of our product advisors, or if schedules don't align, they'll review your portfolio.
- Reference Checks. We’ll chat with a few folks to hear what it’s been like to work with you.
Our Commitment to Inclusion
At Lantern, our commitment to inclusion across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience drives the teams that we build, the leaders we cultivate, and the users that we serve. We exist to answer a human need and we want that reflected inside of our walls.
We're creating a culture where not only does everyone have a seat at the table, but where their work is valued, their voice is heard, and their path to success is transparent and attainable.
A Note About The Pandemic
We know this isn’t an ideal time for most people and you’re probably dealing with way more stress than you normally would be. Please know:
- If you need to reschedule our interview last-minute, that’s okay.
- If you can’t be on video the whole time, that’s okay.
- If there’s an unexpected interruption on our call, that’s okay.
None of this will in any way impact your candidacy with us.