Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity:
Help us reinvent a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life.
A home is the single biggest financial investment in a person’s life, and as a Sr. Product Manager on the Marketplace team at Better you will be at the forefront of re-thinking and disrupting this journey, in a world of real estate transactions that has been largely unchanged and is ripe for innovation.
In this role, you will straddle the line between strategy and execution, working closely with engineering, underwriting, design, data science, operations, sales, capital markets, and executive teams to imagine, design, and deploy a best-in-class credit decision system at scale. This role will be key to differentiating Better in a highly fragmented market and a fundamental part of the brain of our business that powers the entire lifecycle from pre-application affordability to origination to selling in secondary markets.
Responsibilities will include:
- Partner with and lead cross functional teams to set product vision and strategy
- Define and socialize the roadmap of your product area through deep research and understanding of business goals
- Bringing your solutions to market through ownership of the full product lifecycle: problem identification, solution design, spec, implementation and validation
- Build products that empower our sales, operations, capital markets teams to make better decisions and add delight to our user experience
- Make magic out of a complex and antiquated industry through intense focus on simplification
- Go deep into both technical huddles with engineers and strategic discussions with executives
- Manage competing priorities with consistency and transparency
- This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- You’ve worked for 5-8 years in a technical product management capacity at a technology-driven organization
- You have worked on complex workflow based products, marketplace platforms, pricing, algorithmic bidding platforms, data centric supply chain products, or machine learning products
- You have a computer science, engineering, operations research or equivalent technical background
- You’re an analytical, metrics-driven thinker who is deeply empathetic and leads with a user-centered approach
- You are an evangelist of how platforms can unlock business value and customer experiences through self serve APIs
- You’re committed to collaboration and are able to work well with other business units to build iterative solutions that continuously deliver value
- You have a proven track record of entering a new space and building expertise rapidly
- Your spidey sense enables you to read between the lines and extrapolate ideas which turn into solutions
- You are not afraid of getting your hands dirty and are equally comfortable balancing tactical and strategic investments
- You have a change-management mindset
- You have the resilience to bring everyone along with you for a long journey with lots of ups and downs
- You challenge archaic processes to make them better for consumers by removing friction (aka you live to make complex things simple)
- You’re a systems thinker with an understanding that spans all levels of abstraction
- You are comfortable in an ever-changing environment and have a passion for successfully navigating ambiguous problem areas
- You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and have a proven track record of building strong relationships with stakeholders
Job Req ID: JR101667
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.