We believe that learning a language should be fun, rewarding, and a gateway to the best experiences life has to offer. If you agree, we’d love to talk.
If you are a software engineer looking use your talent in an endeavour more noble than tricking consumers into buying a new widget or helping traders earn big bonuses, take a look at Voxy. Voxy software engineers will change the way millions of people around the world learn English by using sound science combined with innovative (and patented!) technology. We are implementing research-driven learning activities coupled with live streaming for topic-based live tutoring sessions all the while utilizing patented NLP/machine learning algorithms to build a customized learning experience using authentic content sources from names you know (Bloomberg, AP, Financial Times and more.). Voxy’s goal is to become THE vendor of first choice in the $80 billion dollar English language education market and our development team will be instrumental in reaching this goal.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Accelerate Voxy’s ability to automatically transform authent content into lessons for our learners using NLP and advanced text/video processing
- Learning… about machine learning and Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Build nicely-instrumented code that is testable and deployable without downtime, including A/B testing of features
- Evolve our big data pipeline to use real time feedback for an optimal platform for learners
- Design a best in breed application that is enjoyable to work with, performant to our partners, and evolves with our learners
What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of experience working as a commercial software developer
- Curiosity and knowledge about technologies and architectural patterns of software engineering across the entire stack
- Pragmatism in understanding when to build the solution that scales to 1 million users or works for 100 users
- Build new data models that reflect the Voxy business using advanced SQL/NoSQL/ORM’s
What Would Be Nice To Have:
- AWS and devops
- B.S. or higher in computer science, science or engineering discipline or equivalent experience
Working here, you'll enjoy:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending benefits
- Gym reimbursement, Citibike, FancyHands account
- Ongoing professional development
- Reimbursement for attendance at industry or professional conferences
- On-site language classes
- Monthly team outings
- Unlimited snacks and beverages and access to beer fridge
- Awesome team of super bright, creative, talented, and passionate individuals
- Sweet space in downtown Manhattan easily accessible by many trains
Want to know more about us?
Voxy is a NYC-based company that is changing the way the world learns English. Our proprietary personalization technology and exclusive partnerships with leading content publishers enable us to deliver a one-of-a-kind solution to over 2.5 million English learners across the globe. Our mobile and web applications make it possible for individuals to learn from the world around them, turning everyday experiences and content into fun, game-like activities. Our custom-built, live one-on-one tutoring platform brings the necessary human element front and center, and is a core piece of our methodology. Voxy’s disruption of the $80B market for English language education has been recognized by leading education investors and the company has been deemed a pioneer by The New York Times, CNN Money, Fast Company, Mashable, Univision, Veja (Brazil), Venturebeat, and others.
Recognized by Business Insider (2012):
The 10 Best US Tech Companies To Work For In 2012
Recognized by Forbes.com (2013):
The 12 Companies Transforming Their Industries