DevOps Technical Writer
Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud?
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about publishing tutorials that your peers will love.
The Community Technical Writing Team raises awareness of DigitalOcean within the greater developer community by contributing approachable, education focused, high quality articles on a variety of DevOps, system administration, development, open source and product topics. DigitalOcean articles consistently showcase the team’s care through their writing, technical understanding, topic flexibility, and output.
We are a growing team and are looking to bring on new and talented writers for a variety of challenging, technical positions. All DigitalOcean writers are united by a strong technical background, an interest in teaching and helping readers, and creating the most useful content possible.
If you feel that you have the background and knowledge for a technical writing position, we’d love to talk to you and see where there’s a fit!
What You'll Be Doing:
- Working collaboratively across the DigitalOcean marketing team to produce content on a variety of topics related to open source and distributed infrastructure
- Producing and evaluating topic ideas for future technical articles
- Researching to establish a working knowledge of each topic
- Maintaining existing articles by updating content where appropriate
- Coordinating with other team members to ensure topic coverage while avoiding overlap
- Participating in Community initiatives (feature launch prep work, strategic tasks, etc.)
- Assisting other teams with documentation and non-documentation tasks
What We'll Expect From You:
- Deep understanding of DevOps and Linux Server Administration, including experience with multiple Linux distributions, and an understanding of multi-server infrastructure and networking concepts
- Experience with infrastructure automation, application setup, and large production server deployments
- Understanding of and interest in the cloud native ecosystem including Kubernetes
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Strong research skills and ability to pick up new technical concepts quickly
- Experience working closely with marketing teams (and other departments) is a plus
- Experience in instructional design or curriculum development is a plus
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard, but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical and mental health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge, and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our office to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.