Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Writing at Better.com
Good writing is core to our company. Other places use big words and clunky sentences to make mortgages seem complicated. Writers here do the opposite. We distill complex information into its simplest form. We communicate things clearly to help people with different backgrounds all feel empowered. We make mortgages make sense.
The role: Lead UX Writer
Your craft will help shape every part of the digital product. You’ll simplify flows, add consistent messaging, and co-create interfaces. You’ll write and rewrite based on research and user testing. More than anything, you’ll use words to solve problems. Where do people get stuck? Why are people feeling confused? How can we explain things more clearly? You’ll also:
- Work directly in Figma alongside amazing designers
- Shape the strategic approach to our words and writing
- Give design feedback, elevate the work, and influence our UI
- Collaborate with product managers, strategists, engineers, and researchers
- Work with our analytics team to measure, test, and optimize your writing
- Mentor and grow other UX writers on the team
Some things we’re looking for:
- 6+ years of experience writing for digital products, including a portfolio of great work
- Experience working on digital products that have launched and evolved
- A deep understanding of UX writing and interaction design
- Excellent writing skills, including attention to craft and grammar
- Ability to self-manage across multiple projects and deadlines
- Comfort working in a fast-paced startup environment
- An understanding of inclusive design and accessibility
- Passion for solving complicated problems and making things simple
- Friendly attitude, including the ability to give and take feedback
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.