Senior Director, Audio
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is seeking a Senior Director to lead the development and production of audio and podcasts at theSkimm. You'll be responsible for the journalism, original storytelling and voice of theSkimm in audio formats. You’ll manage a team and work closely with leadership counterparts from the content department on short and long range planning, and cross-departmentally with teams inclusive of marketing, sales, and product on the development of audio. This role reports to the VP of Content.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- EP theSkimm's current audio suite (Skimm This, Skimm'd from The Couch, and audio Notes)
- Lead strategy for scaling audio product
- Work closely with the sales and marketing teams on positioning of current and future audio products
- Train editorial producers and production staff on best-in-class audio practices
- Oversee audio production - including budgets, staffing and creative
- Manager editorial partnerships with key distributors
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 8+ years experience in audio storytelling with 3+ years leading production on a successful podcast or news radio program
- Expert manager and player/coach, who can inspire a growing team
- Ability to communicate on an executive level while managing the details of multiple daily productions
- Excellent journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Expert technical ability in recording, editing, assembling, mixing for audio publication
- Previous experience on a live daily news show (podcast, radio, or television)
- Experience in a fast-paced newsroom, with an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to change
- Open to a flexible schedule
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits and 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Catered Friday lunches and monthly gatherings
- A vibrant office environment full of books, couches and a roof deck
- Complimentary access to theSkimm’s growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.