Senior Technical Cloud-Native Curriculum Developer - Distributed US at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!About the Role
As a cloud-native developer, you know managing state in modern cloud-native apps running on Kubernetes is a profound mismatch if you use legacy SQL databases. And you know designing and coding the inevitable transactional serializable use cases in those applications is far from straightforward or adequate when using noSQL databases. CockroachDB is a next-gen, distributed SQL transactional database that solves these problems, keeping pace with the cloud-native distributed Kubernetes world.
We are looking for a Cloud-native Technical Curriculum Developer to build courses for Cockroach University, a free online learning platform focused on teaching cloud-native developers and operators what they need to know to use CockroachDB and CockroachCloud.You Will
- Empathize with cloud-native developers and database operators, putting yourself in the shoes of devs and operators building and running cloud-native applications with CockroachDB in production.
- Build cloud-native microservice and serverless applications used in training exercises and CockroachDB enablement in general.
- Build training courses collaboratively in teams using Agile methodology and techniques.
- Define course architectures, learning objectives and detailed lesson plans with peer Curriculum Developers and subject matter experts.
- Script and record engaging & high-quality video lessons.
- Write hands-on labs.
- Build quizzes, tests and exams.
- Contribute to defining and evolving the Training team’s Agile and DevOps processes and conventions.
- Develop technical expertise in CockroachDB and accompanying technologies.
- Foster collaboration with our Docs, Engineering, Product, and Customer Success teams to keep our curriculum up-to-date, effective, and user-centric.
In your first 30 days, you will learn about CockroachDB both in terms of its internals and from the customer’s perspective/experience, using our documentation, training materials, and technical staff. You’ll also give one half-hour presentation on a part of CockroachDB and spin up on the tooling we use to create courseware.
3 months in, you’ll be integrated into the team and partnering with a peer Curriculum Developer to optimize existing content and build out the next developer-facing Cockroach University courses in service of a future CockroachDB Certification program.You Have
- Experience developing synchronous and/or asynchronous serverless and/or microservice-based systems.
- Knowledge of event-driven-streaming and/or reactive architectures.
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TTD) and Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Experience deploying above systems to containerized (Kubernetes) clusters (self-hosted and/or public clouds) and/or public cloud provider serverless environments.
- Passion for developing and delivering educational experiences that meet the real-world needs of customers, and for building internal and external relationships to get feedback and identify opportunities.
- Familiarity with the various technologies and architectures that make distributed applications function.
- Proficiency in Linux and in one or more programming languages (Java, JS, Python, Go, Scala, etc.).
- Knowledge of one or more object relational mapping and/or persistence frameworks.
- 4+ years of experience as a curriculum developer, technical instructor, instructional designer, technical evangelist or similar technical position.
Reporting to Doug Weatherbee - Director of Training
The CockroachDB mission is to make data easy. Doug makes sure we build the training counterpart to that mission: Make learning CockroachDB easy and intuitive. Doug’s been passionate about developer training for over twenty years: for the first 15 years, he was a Java EE & IBM WebSphere instructor, curriculum developer and writer and near the end of those 15 years, a Scala programming language and Akka distributed computing trainer. During the past 6 years, he’s led creative teams of other technical curriculum engineers building cloud-native developer content at Red Hat (OpenShift, Kubernetes, Quarkus microservices, Istio Service Mesh) and Lightbend (makers of Scala and Akka and Reactive Architecture pioneers). In off hours, he’s probably walking by the ocean in Nova Scotia, riding an ebike on the Acadian dykelands or playing and composing music.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected].