Studio Director at Common
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40+ buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,500 members. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and all-inclusive living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, and Washington, D.C. and receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves and has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology and service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Common is looking for an experienced Studio Director to join the Common Design Studio at a senior director level. We are looking for an expert people manager and an action orientated leader to direct our design team at an exciting stage of growth for the business. The role will be suited for a candidate who has specialized in studio management including resource planning, budgeting, project management, people management, and coaching. The ideal candidate has a background in architecture with a solid understanding of the process, a creative eye, and a strong reputation for being action driven. Reporting directly to the President of Real Estate, this is a rare opportunity to join a fast growing start up at a formative time.
- Leadership and management of a large team of Architects and Designers including individual and team management and development, resource planning and allocation, recruiting, hiring, and reporting
- Oversight and management of project timelines, deliverables and deadlines over multiple projects at varying stages
- Create, implement and manage effective processes to drive team success
- Close collaboration with the Creative Director of Architecture
- Perform and report within a budget
- You know how to ask for help when you need it
- Other responsibilities and requirements from time to time and based on business needs
- Travel as required
- Ad hoc projects from time to time and based on business needs
- BA/BS Degree and qualification in Architecture or equivalent
- 8+ years of professional experience
- Background in project and or studio management including managing to a budget and reporting on project performance internally
- Experience managing a large team
- Experience and understanding of the property development process and client management preferred
- Experience building processes from scratch
- Scrappy and resourceful problem solver
- A team player with a “can do” attitude
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.