Hello, we're Common
Common is the nation’s leading community-driven property manager, improving city living across 6 cities and for over 600 members. Using our signature approach to perfecting the modern rental experience, Common designs and operates co-living and traditional apartments in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, + Washington, D.C....
Why Work with Us?
Our hands-on, end-to-end property management + technology offering allows us to deliver unparalleled services that address the needs of today’s renter while providing significantly above-market returns for our real estate partners. This makes us the preferred choice for city-dwelling adults looking for a stress-free + all-inclusive environment.
An Insider's view of Common
How would you describe the company’s work-life balance?
This is of the best startups I’ve ever worked at in terms of life balance. I love the “grown-up” approach: how can you provide the most value to your team? Excellent hiring practices ensure that my colleagues and I are all intensely focused on success, but just as importantly, we have modern, busy outside lives, and those lives are respected.
What does your typical day look like?
As our first Product Manager, every day looks different! I'm thinking strategically about initiatives in our roadmap, getting consensus on minimum viable product designs, drafting tickets and working with engineers, and supporting them through the development process. I also support other departments' technology requests and manage their priority.
What does career growth look like on your team?
Cross-department moves and promotions are encouraged and welcomed always! On my team specifically, my manager is super interested in helping us grow and learning what responsibilities we want to take on to further our career growth. We focus on each other's strengths and make sure that we are working at our full potential.
Benefits + Payroll Specialist
What is your vision for the company?
Common is making city living better by designing and operating community-driven homes. 75 million Americans live with roommates, and Common is addressing this housing need by creating homes designed for sharing through community, convenience, and affordability. With thousands of beds under development, Common is a leader in new ways of living.
Founder + CEO
What makes someone successful on your team?
On Common’s marketing team, I love that success means more than just putting your head down and getting the work done. Everyone is empowered and encouraged to take a step back, look at the bigger picture, and decide what’s really important for our consumers to know about us. It allows us to not get too in the weeds and be the best team we can be.
Where we are
You can find our team taking meetings in Bryant Park, catching up over coffee at Blue Stone or commuting right out of Grand Central Station!
Perks + Benefits
Friends outside of work
Eat lunch together
Team owned deliverables
Team based strategic planning
Unconscious bias training
Health Insurance & Wellness
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Retirement & Stock Options
Child Care & Parental Leave
Generous Parental Leave
Flexible Work Schedule
Remote Work Program
Family Medical Leave
Vacation & Time Off
Paid Sick Days
Job Training & Conferences
Lunch and learns
Promote from within
- I was very intrigued by the idea that there’s an opportunity for innovation in the housing sector. As a designer, the most fascinating part of working at Common is the direct access to our end users.JennDirector of Architecture
- I am most motivated by the opportunity to be at the forefront of coliving, and rethinking how people live and interact, and am so grateful to be a part of this incredibly dynamic team.MelissaMember Experience Manager
- I was drawn by the Company’s mission to make city living better. We provide housing options that will change the way that people think about city living. I’m excited to be along for the ride helping to effectively scale our Sales team and process.EricSenior Director, Sales
- Seeing how my efforts and the work of my team has helped grow our product and our member experience. We’ve gone from 1 home in Brooklyn to over a dozen across the country, and that rapid expansion provides us with exciting challenges every day!JamieMarketing Manager
- I’ve had so many opportunities to grow and expand my skill set while collaborating with some incredibly hardworking and talented coworkers. We are a part of the same family where we learn, support, and celebrate each other’s achievements.CaesarReal Estate Director
- It is wonderful to be innovating as we create beautiful and thoughtful homes. At Common, we are making a meaningful and positive impact on the way people live, and that inspires me everyday.SophieVP of Design + Construction
- Common has had a big impact on my life in the short amount of time I been working for them. I have been able to learn a lot from my peers, not only on the Property Service Team but also peers in other departments.GustavoProperty Technician
Jobs at Common15 open jobs
Data + Analytics
Dev + Engineer
Data + Analytics
Technology we use
- Ruby on RailsFrameworks
- Google AnalyticsAnalytics
Articles we're in19 articles
Our funding history
$7.4M in FundingInvestors: Dave McClure, Lowercase Capital, Maveron, Slow Ventures
$16M in Funding
$40M in Funding