Analyst, Actuarial Services at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs-bringing better care to where it's needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that "health is local" and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we'll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
The Analyst, Actuarial Services will be the primary resource helping the actuarial leadership develop insights and answer questions on existing relationships and partners. The role will collaborate with specific groups within the Actuarial Department, supporting high-needs areas and guiding special projects.
Healthcare data and financing is complicated, so you must be excited about digging into data and combining it with qualitative input from SMEs to drive your summary analytical insights, and support decision making and recommendations from the Actuarial leadership team.
The person in this role needs to be comfortable working with a range of audiences, across Finance, Analytics, Operations, Clinical etc. and communicating actuarial results and concepts to these audiences. If you want to make a difference and are flexible to tackle complex questions using your actuarial skills across a range of areas, we want to hear from you!
Requirements for the Role:
- You have 3+ years of actuarial experience
- You have experience with healthcare data and standard healthcare metrics and taxonomies (PMPMs, gross margin, MLR, risk score, etc.)
- You are a strong SQL programmer, with experience navigating non-standard data
- You are very organized and able to manage multiple work efforts. You understand the link between the actuarial details and the business big picture
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and an intellectual curiosity to understand understand true underlying trends
- You enjoy a dynamic environment and are able to make progress on multiple projects at the same time
How We Define Success:
- In 30 days...
- Form relationships with key stakeholders across teams you will interact with most
- Develop familiarity with our current data tools and workflows within the new business structure and beyond
- Deliver on first set of analytical project asks to gain familiarity with the Cityblock environment
- In 60 days ...
- Grow proficiency with existing actuarial and analytical approaches and algorithms.
- Help refine the process for prioritizing and actioning g executive level requests of the actuarial team and internal Actuarial Special projects
- Work with the Analytics team to translate early one-off projects to productionized analytic deliverables
- Have supported a high actuarial need area and gained an understanding of their processes and difficulties
- Serve as a strong partner across the primary stakeholders and teams to address any data needs or concerns and communicate any new partner data learnings and knowledge
- Work with the Actuarial Leadership to execute on non-production analyses (Special Projects) that contribute to the effectiveness of the team and may serve as input to broader Cityblock strategic questions
- Own knowledge management for the Actuarial Team
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Prior experience working in a high growth, start-up environment
- Experience working with Medicare and/or Medicaid programs, including value-based arrangements for populations enrolled in these programs
- Bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics or Data Analytics/Science
What We'd Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.