At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK is seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist to join the Computational Oncology Service in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
We are an interdisciplinary team of bioinformatic scientists, molecular biologists and software engineers motivated by a desire to improve the lives of cancer patients and advance the fields of molecular and computational cancer biology. We are seeking to hire a Phd. level bioinformatics scientist who will help develop analytical methods to be applied to sequencing, imaging and clinical research data produced by large scale research efforts in computational oncology. A successful candidate would exploit state of the art analysis methods, develop new analyses, implement data quality control procedures and train junior bioinformaticians in those procedures. Additionally, the candidate would interface with external collaborators and researchers within our group, gathering requirements for new research questions and providing interpretation of results produced by production pipelines and bespoke analyses.
- Dive deeply into sequencing and imaging datasets and ask novel and interesting questions
- Critique results and diagnose issues with new analyses
- Continue to research new developments in the field of computational biology and bioinformatics in order to apply these methods to data analyzed within the lab
- Work and collaborate with researchers to develop new analyzes to answer novel questions in cancer genomics
- Train junior analysts to run pipelines and perform routine analyses and quality control
- Someone with a deep fascination with molecular and cell biology
- Excited by new datasets and the opportunity to look at data in new ways
- Detail oriented, able to identifies anomalies in data and quickly uncover the source of those anomalies
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situation
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, or Computer Science with emphasis on applications in molecular biology
- Experience with Python and R
- Experience with Linux Systems
- Experience with standard bioinformatics tools and software
- Familiarity with databases (SQL or NoSQL)
- Familiarity with git, svn, or another version control system
- Must provide a link to github or code sample.
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.