Harry’s is a men’s grooming brand that was built out of respect for quality craftsmanship, simple design, modern convenience and for guys who know they shouldn’t have to overpay for a great shave. We are able to deliver exceptional value and experiences to our customers because we are vertically integrated. From grinding steel into fine razors blades at our factory in Germany to selling our products directly to customers on our website and select retailers, we own the entire process.
Since launching in early 2013, we have been blown away by the customer response to our brand. Today, we have over 3 million customers and are growing fast. We’re always looking to bring amazing people, like you, together to redefine the way people interact with brands online and in stores across the country. We have recently raised additional funding to help us develop brands beyond men’s grooming which will expand needs and possibilities for Data Engineering.
About the Team
Data plays an integral role at Harry’s, for example in messaging customers, optimizing acquisition channels, or forecasting demand. The infrastructure and applications that you'll build on the Data Engineering team will power decisions, become multipliers on our revenue and traffic, and help us work more efficiently.
We are responsible for loading upstream data into our data warehouse, for retrieving third-party data, and for maintaining our own infrastructure in the cloud.
About the Role
You will be part of a team that builds and owns core infrastructure for data retrieval, processing, and storage.
Like the rest of team, you will be driving towards best practices in our AWS deployment and maintain a high standard of code quality, system reliability, and performance.
We also expect you to identify problems across our data stack and actively work with the team to design, prioritize, and build solutions that address them.
What you will accomplish:
- Improve and extend our dashboards for key metrics of the ETL
- Implement jobs to pull third-party data in our new serverless data ingestion system
- Monitor our data warehouse and advise about improvements in distributions, queries, or workload management
This should describe you:
- You have been working as a Data Engineer for at least 3 years.
- You have strong engineering skills, are an excellent debugger, and are inclined to ship.
- You feel quite comfortable in a scripting language (or multiple). We use Python in Data Engineering.
- It would be great to know at least one compiled language. We sometimes use Scala around services.
- You understand the tradeoffs in using relational, columnar, document-based, key-value, or other databases. (We use Amazon Redshift, PostgreSQL, and DynamoDB.)
- You’re passionate about data at scale and have experience in technologies such as MapReduce, Spark or Storm.
- You can communicate complex ideas and engineering tradeoffs with your team to arrive at better solutions.
- You are a learner -- always seeking to improve yourself, your team, and the world around you.
- You thrive on direct, honest, and supportive communication.
- You are always thinking about how to help the teammates around you excel.
- You have a sense of humor -- we take our work seriously and ourselves un-seriously.
Here's who you'll work with:
- Reporting to tech lead of Data Engineering
- Cross-functional, e.g. distribution, email marketing, customer experience
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.