LeafLink is the regulated cannabis industry’s largest wholesale marketplace, providing licensed dispensaries the ability to order from their favorite brands, as well as a suite of software tools for those brands to manage and scale their operations.
With over 5,500 retailers and more than 1,600 brands across 26 territories in the US and Canada, LeafLink is setting the industry standard for how cannabis businesses grow together. LeafLink annually processes and manages more than $3 billion in wholesale cannabis orders.
Our team, backed by funding from leading VC’s, is poised to define the cannabis supply chain through technology. LeafLink was named one of Built In NYC's ‘Best Places to Work in 2020’, as well as one of Fast Company’s ’Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Enterprise for 2018’, joining the ranks of Amazon, Slack, and VMWare - and we’re just getting started!The Role
LeafLink is seeking a Data Engineering Manager to join our New York team. As a senior member of the data engineering and analytics team, you will be in a position to have a direct impact on how LeafLink harnesses its first party data from various sources to generate business value. You are deeply passionate about organizing and managing data. You believe and understand the value that powerful reporting and analytics can drive for the business and have a structured and detail oriented approach to solving problems using a diverse technical toolkit. The Ideal candidate will have a structured growth plan allowing Her/Him to transition as an Independent Contributor to a Management track. All necessary training and resources will be provided during this growth and transition.The ideal candidate should be personable, efficient, rooted in an experimentative and fact based mindset. Bringing people along, communicating and gathering feedback on plans with internal and external stakeholders and collaborating cross-functionally should come easily to the candidate.
- Assist in building a high performing data platform which will power various reporting and analytics applications at LeafLink
- Responsible for building and maintaining processes for ingestion of data to data lake
- Implementing ELT / ETL procedures to pipe data from ingestion to data warehouse
- Maintain the data dictionary and schema of the data warehouse and data marts serving all LeafLink functions and business divisions
- Partner with data scientists and business analysts to modify, add, remove fields to relevant schemas and tables
- Partner with DevOps in Core Engineering for provisioning and standing up database clusters
- Putting in place process for monitoring health of database infrastructure
- Addressing data quality issues originating at source and working with LeafLink vendors on solving quality issues and simplifying ingestion processes
- Handle large volumes of data and integrate our platform with a range of internal and external systems.
- Be a thought leader; understand new tech and recommend how it can be applied to data management
- Effectively take on managerial responsibility as the data team scales by providing coaching and career guidance to future direct reports through code reviews and feedback
- Ensure career pathing of eventual direct reports remains on track and impediments to process are remediated quickly and sustainably
- Be a technical expert and enable other members on the team by providing mentoring and code reviews when required
- Troubleshoot and diagnose issues quickly and effectively when they arise, bringing calm and rationality to tense situations
- Maintain and evaluate quality of documentation, code, and business logic for data management at LeafLink
- Expertise and hands-on experience building a modern data stack using AWS especially s3 and Redshift;
- Expertise in developing and maintaining relational database structures and relationships;
- Experience monitoring and managing Redshift db Clusters;
- Expertise with Airflow and Docker is required.
- Comfortable in diagramming and documenting processes, relational structures using tools like Visio, Lucidchart, Confluence
- Expertise writing processing jobs to ingest a variety of structured and unstructured data received from various sources & formats such as Rest APIs, Flat Files, Logs
- Expert level skills in using Python for data processing coupled with AWS offerings like Lambda, Fargate, Kubernetes
- Expert level skills in writing & managing optimized SQL for creating, updating and querying source of truth tables
- Hands-on experience with deployment using CI/CD; experience with ECS good to have
- Hands on experience to with other DAG based workflow orchestration frameworks like dbt, Luigi, AWS Pipeline
- Experienced in working within an integration environment with testers to ensure end to end performance and resilience can be achieved
- Well-versed in version control systems (Git)
- Experience working in a team with data scientists and analysts as clients is a plus
- Experience with platforming ML & using Spark is a plus but not required
- A passion for building and retaining teams of individuals that are highly motivated and excited about the work they’re contributing to
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced growth business with many collaborators and quickly evolving business needs
- Flexible PTO to give our employees a little extra R&R when they need it
- Competitive compensation and 401k
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Company sponsored Annual Citibike Membership for NYC employees
- Commuter Benefits through a Flexible Spending Account
- A robust stock option plan to give our employees a direct stake in LeafLink’s success
LeafLink’s employee-centric culture has earned us a coveted spot on BuiltInNYC’s Best Places to Work list. Learn more about LeafLink’s history and the path to our First Billion in Wholesale Cannabis Orders here.